Discuss Leaving a puppy in van whilst you work? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

most dogs are left on their own for around 8 hours every night (while we sleep).surely they can manage a few hours in the day,with food and water to hand. if we leave ours at home in the daytime, it's rarely for more than 2 -3 hours. m-i-l- lives 3 doors away and comes to let them out if it.s any longer.

I do understand what Adam is saying but hate it at the same time, For me you should be judged on your work not your vehicles age, I should be ok though because while I have just bought a brand spanking new Vivaro, the lad is in an 07 vivaro so that should balance things out lol we will just have to think of which customer sees which van.
Joking apart if my customers had an issue with me in a new van they wouldn't be my customer for long, One of my top customers who spends a serious amount with me every month, was chuffed to bits when he saw my van, he looks at it how he should that I have invested not only in myself but in his company as well, he has approx 10 sites accross the uk and having a reliable new van ensures that I won't be constantly letting him down due to old vehicles breaking down daily.
What do you think he would have thought if your van had new alloys and a bodykit? What if it had a dog in it?

Oh dear, so we all have to drive a van of a certain age, not too old, not to new. I'll have to park mine round the corner. I washed it yesterday, so I hope I don't offend anyone. I think people want a quality job done for reasonable price, done by someone they can rely on. People are concerned on choosing the right trades person, and use different approaches, word of mouth is top of the list. The vehicle they turn up in, is not.
It would be nice to be able to believe that customers, especially domestic customers, don't care about the image of their tradesman and that first impressions don't count.
I think even if a tradesman is recommended the customer will want them to turn up on time and look presentable.

I feel I should write a reply seeing as though i choose to post such an emotive title.

I'm 43 and should have had the maturity to give this much more thought and research before buying the puppy. He clearly is not going to be happy sitting in the van for hours on end whilst I'm in the customers house. Unfortunately my rather naive nature painted a lovely picture of 'tradesman with dog' which is not at all realistic and completely unfair on the animal.

Puppy has been returned to breeder (nice family) and very happy to be back, I'm out of pocket £350 and well deserve to be.

Last edited:
I feel I should write a reply seeing as though choose to post such an emotive title.

I'm 43 and should have had the maturity to give this much more thought and research before buying the puppy. He clearly is not going to be happy sitting in the van for hours on end whilst I'm in the customers house. Unfortunately my rather naive nature painted a lovely picture of 'tradesman with dog' which is not at all realistic and completely unfair on the animal.

Puppy has been returned to breeder (nice family) and very happy to be back, I'm out of pocket £350 and well deserve to be.
Sorry to hear that, it must have been a hard decision to take.

What do you think he would have thought if your van had new alloys and a bodykit? What if it had a dog in it?

Well seeing as he drives a car that costs more than most peoples houses and loves Dogs, I would imagine we would have taken the dogs for a stroll and talked about the next job.

@ HHd while I feel a bit bad for maybe going all guns blazing I am really proud of you for making the right decision, while he would have made a great companion it wouldn't have been fair on him to be cooped up in a van for hours at a time, Also as I said earlier Labs are such intelligent dogs they thrive on being stimulated and exercised.
I do however take my hat off to you for doing the decent thing and I really hope that one day you're in a position to offer a dog a great friend and life.

I will answer that in a more sensible manner this time, I don't do council houses or any houses for that matter. mostly all of my customers are industrial/ commercial so having new shiny vans isn't a bad thing infact it's the opposite, take the customer I referred to earlier he is just about to have 2 x 6 million pound production lines installed at one of the sites, how impressed do you think he would be when he gets a call off me to tell him I can't get to site because the van is up on ramps being repaired due to it being a shed.

HHD I know its not the same but I love dogs but due to work commitments wont get one.(work long unsociable hours) but my son has one and so has my daughter which I borrow when walking. The dogs love it and go absolutly mad when I turn up as they know it will be a long walk.
So try and adopt on on your days off you wont find anything else as loving and loyal

I will answer that in a more sensible manner this time, I don't do council houses or any houses for that matter. mostly all of my customers are industrial/ commercial so having new shiny vans isn't a bad thing infact it's the opposite, take the customer I referred to earlier he is just about to have 2 x 6 million pound production lines installed at one of the sites, how impressed do you think he would be when he gets a call off me to tell him I can't get to site because the van is up on ramps being repaired due to it being a shed.

Or , it could have a malady like this.:sad:
Software bug prompts Range Rover recall - BBC News

Nothing is certain except taxes and................

Or , it could have a malady like this.:sad:
Software bug prompts Range Rover recall - BBC News

Nothing is certain except taxes and................

My point is when you're doing between 500- 1000 miles a week ( Not always ) I feel much happier in a brand new van, I know we can go backwards and forwards with --- for tat about how some Tradesman probably have 40 year old vans that start 1st time every time but I don't want to be one of them.

EDIT** Also the thread is going off track a bit and we are probably all guilty of that so let's get it back on track and I include myself in that.

Last edited:
That's not really what I was getting at - obviously you need to be able to get to work - you need the tools to do the job, but I expect it's entirely possible to have a van which is a bit rough around the edges but still does the job perfectly well, or maybe you're chucking everything in the back of a car, maybe the van is reliable but you bought it second hand and it's former use is still evident - camper van, ambulance, minibus or whatever. To someone who doesn't know much about the job in hand and is looking for something to judge you on or form a first impression based on, an unusual van, scruffy appearance or turning up 'late' with the 'excuse' that you stopped off at the wholesalers on your way to the job instead going there to show your face first thing before doubling back on yourself to go back and get the materials for the job, may give you an image they are less than impressed with.
To a lot of people it's all about image - they don't want to see you 'standing around' thinking about what you're going to be doing, they don't want to see you drinking tea, eating your lunch or playing with a dog, even if you're on your lunch break; they want to see movement - arms and legs in motion. Same with the van - a domestic customer doesn't care what make it is, they just want (even 'expect') it to be clean and have your name on the side.
Of course not all customers are like this, but too many of them seem to value the 'theatre' over the standard of electrical work.

I think you've made the right decision. Don't get me wrong, in my opinion a dog really is mans best friend and i'm especially a lover of labs seeing as i have one my self but they do not like being cooped up all day. We are very lucky with ours that he actually likes his own quiet time but i know people who have to look after their dogs like a new born baby.
I hope that soon you're in a position where you can get a dog but you've really made the right decision there.

Whilst commending HHD on his decision, not sure he would want to see anymore posts on the subject. I'm sure all the pet owners can empathise with that. Time to talk about something else perhaps.

If HHD requests the thread closed we will oblige, until then the thread stays open, hats off to him and yes we fully sympathise with the situation, not an easy decision either way but the balls in his court.

I don't mind it staying open Darkwood, although I think it's all pretty much been said. It may help others not make the same mistake as I did. I'm gutted, but again, I should be.

I don't mind it staying open Darkwood, although I think it's all pretty much been said so up to you guys. Hopefully it will help others not make the same mistake as I did. I'm gutted, but again, I should be.

I don't mind it staying open Darkwood, although I think it's all pretty much been said so up to you guys. Hopefully it will help others not make the same mistake as I did. I'm gutted, but again, I should be.

Ok Mate on that note I will close the thread, it is still visible for members to read in the future. Thanks for taking it on the chin and then doing the right thing even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment.

Reply to Leaving a puppy in van whilst you work? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net