Discuss Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I suppose however it is done there will be people who will lose out!

Politics for me is about doing the best you can for the greatest amount of people. You'll never please everyone. But this is why decisions need to be made by the masses for the masses!

So you have the 2356 but not the 2330? What quals do you have? You're not mistaking the 2365 for the 2356?

2392 - level 2 testing
2393 - building regs
2394 - level 3 testing
2382 - regs
2377 - pat testing
2356 - level 3 NVQ3 services and systems or whatever it's called.

Im going to be doing to 2395 in march so can then upgrade to approved.

It's a NECESSITY that you have to be employed by a company as an Apprentice or Adult Trainee up here in Scotland in order to sit the SVQ3 which is the same as the NVQ3. (Im starting in Aug) It incorporates everything you mentioned and is three years long, with a Trade Test at the end to prove you are competent in everything you have learned over the years. Although by the looks of things the word 'competent' gets thrown about far too willy-nilly these days.

Maybe i'm old fashioned but to me a trade's a trade. It should be worked for and respected. Not given away to people with more money than integrity. I'm in full support mr, keep it up.

Haha, no worries bud :)

Nothing to be ashamed of there mate, the thing is, in your day people were schooled to achieve a certain level of knowledge, exams were harder to pass, standard of work was higher!

Nowadays, the exams are still the same (hardness wise), but people are schooled to pass the exams rather than to achieve a certain level of knowledge, exams are easier to pass but the standard of work is lower.

I am not sure how to take that !:eek:mg_smile:
I am only 37 , I thought you were about that age as well .
Joking apart , I no what you mean though , I know of several so called sparks that have gone on guaranteed to pass crash courses !?
I believe we should have to resit some form of exam at least every 5 - 10 years though !

I am not sure how to take that !:eek:mg_smile:

I mean on average people who completed electrical courses 10 years ago would probably have gained slightly more knowledge than those who are schooled for exams nowadays.

I am only 37 , I thought you were about that age as well .

Yeah I'm about that age, minus 10 years! lol

Joking apart , I no what you mean though , I know of several so called sparks that have gone guaranteed to pass crash courses !?

I have seen it with my own eyes mate, people who wouldn't even be competent to wire a plug passing the 2391!

I believe we should have to resit some form of exam at least every 5 - 10 years though !

Fully agreed!

Without any doubt whatsoever in my mind, Electricians should be holders of any of the fundamental core qualifications (previous and/or present), the newest being G&G 2357 Lv 3, accompanied by AM2 and Lv 3 NVQ, for the newer graduates. Older C&G holders, say 2360 wouldn't need the AM2 or NVQ as their apprenticeship would have included a good all round work experience, that just isn't seen too often these days.

It's open for discussion as to what requirements other grades may require in terms of qualifications and experience, it's just essential that you get it right for the fundamental term of ''Qualified Electrician''

One thing's for sure, the term ''Domestic Installer'' should be eradicated from any form of electrical trade designation. You are either a Qualified Electrician or you're NOT!!

One thing's for sure, the term ''Domestic Installer'' should be eradicated from any form of electrical trade designation. You are either a Qualified Electrician or you're NOT!!

Hopefully by May on renewal, I'll have upgraded to approved so I wouldn't have to be driving my van with a red face of embarrassment.

Hopefully by May on renewal, I'll have upgraded to approved so I wouldn't have to be driving my van with a red face of embarrassment.

No offence but more fool you mate. I'm 'approved' by Elecsa (or at least I will be for the next three months) and I pay ÂŁ300 less than those 'approved' by the NIC. Their 'domestic installer' category is purely marketing gumpf designed to get more money out of you for the very reason you have stated!

"Give him a badge that he will be embarressed to wear and he'll be forced to stump up the extra cash to be called something more appropriate"

I tell you what, I am going to set up a competent persons scheme right now! I'm gonna call it Rommel Certification Ltd and to be a member you have to pay me ÂŁ400+VAT. With that I'll give you a pony two hour assessment and a badge to wear, on the badge will be the words "Stupid ape like creature".

Or.... Pay me 700+VAT and I'll give you another two hour pony assessment and I'll give you a badge with the words "genius" on it?

Which one ya gonna choose chump? :D

I did my A,B and C certs, to 14th Edition over 4 years, back in the 70's and, obviously, updates of the various editions.
Think I'm right in saying they were the C&G 2361, 2362 and 2363.

I'm wondering what today's equivalent of the C cert is, if any, and hence which level to select.

It was a very much sought after qualification and the vast majority were content with the B cert for approved electrician status.

I totally agree, I just prefere to stay with the NIC as unfortunately we live in a world where more people seem to have heard of them or recognise them, or even only use NIC electricians. I do accept your point, but I'll stay where I am and be a self certified fool.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm off to sleep now anyway as up early. Night all.

Bit of a tricky one for me. If I tick any of the first three options, I'll be like a turkey voting for Christmas. It looks like I'm seriously under-qualified.

Not sure what to suggest, but you need to make provision for those who've acquired their technical knowledge other than by the conventional route. Reading between the lines, I recon that there are a few of us on here.

I wouldn't mind doing another couple of evening courses and/or an extended on-site assessment, but be careful who you're going to exclude.

I didn't enrol with NIC partly because of the domestic installer tag. Felt it may limit any possible future commercial works. I also dislike the NICs attitude generally.

I have 2330 L3, 2391, 2382. I do not have NVQ and am glad as a couple of lads I know that did it said it was a tin pot course. Ok, it sort of proves practical experience but is a doddle to pass as far as I am aware. The 2391 is meant to be for actual working sparks is it not??? If so, then the course providers are partly at fault for letting any bugler do it. It certainly should never be an add-on course at the end of a Electrical Trainee course.

Personally I found the 2391 fairly tricky and only 50% of the class passed it.

I think a la Kato style would be more interesting for any random spot checks!

Personally I'd go with a system where you have to requalify every 5 years, with practical tests that anyone can take...that would mean that any of the self employed bods (like yours truly) who are going through a dry patch can still prove competency (heck why not bash it, 2382 and 2394/5 into one course....)

Reply to Level of qualification needed to obtain licence? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net