Discuss Light Switches in Bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well most people in the uk probably wouldn't use the switches when wet either. But surely better safe than sorry?
I don't know about you but I feel comepletely safe using a light switch in a bathroom. Just like using sockets in kitchens when cooking or washing we all take common sense precautions. Now when I step into an electric shower even though as you say its "designed" I am always aware of the greater potential for danger. Having worked on them for many years (perhaps like yourself) I am not overly impressed with the "design" of them.

Couldn’t sleep to night, ended up pursuing on here. From my research, it seems the French for example have similar zones in bathrooms, much as we have. But apparently larger bathrooms than we. So is it a bit of a myth that they put light switches next to a bath or shower cubic?

If you consider safety, you don't see many sockets & light switches in swimming pool confines, so why would a bathroom be any less different?

Some French comments on the subject;

https://ckenb.blogspot.com/2010/06/french-light-switches.html
https://sarlwiseman.com/blog/post/french-electrical-regulations---part-2-bathroom-zones
https://www.completefrance.com/living-in-france/french-plumbing-and-electrics-1-1518579

Of course you could take it to another level.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/08/denki-buro-electric-baths-of-japan.html

Must try and get some sleep now.

Next to the shower, no. But in zone 2 yes. Particularly common in countries like Spain, Italy etc and I believe Mike Johnson confirmed also in France.

I don't know where the practise for installing light switches outside bathrooms, ever came from. BS 7671 only ever said at worst, that said switch should not be accessible from the bath, or always outside zone 2 in recent editions.

If you read the link about zones or volumes in France I set out in my post 45, it suggests class 1 light switches can be installed in 'no volumes', the same as our guidance of installing outside of zone 2. In fact its the same distance >0.6m from the edge of the bath.

Perhaps its diy'ers in France not following the guidance. The first link to a blog, talks about light switches in France being installed outside the room its for, including bathrooms.

As a lot of UK bathrooms have a quite small floor area, sometimes the only way to achieve the guidance, is a pull cord or switch outside, unless you live in BP and have a bathroom the size squash court.

Time for bed soon :)

Last edited:
I don't know where the practise for installing light switches outside bathrooms, ever came from. BS 7671 only ever said at worst, that said switch should not be accessible from the bath, or always outside zone 2 in recent editions.

If you read the link about zones or volumes in France I set out in my post 45, it suggests class 1 light switches can be installed in 'no volumes', the same as our guidance of installing outside of zone 2. In fact its the same distance >0.6m from the edge of the bath.

Perhaps its diy'ers in France not following the guidance. The first link to a blog, talks about light switches in France being installed outside the room its for, including bathrooms.

As a lot of UK bathrooms have a quite small floor area, sometimes the only way to achieve the guidance, is a pull cord or switch outside, unless you live in BP and have a bathroom the size squash court.

Time for bed soon :)
Your point about DIY, ers may well be valid. From the links you posted I get the impression that the idea of zones in bathrooms is a relatively new developement for the French. But it's clear that they will allow a light switch to be installed in 0.7 meters from wet area

I understand your reasoning on the condensation thing. TBH all rooms have different temperature variables so condensation may not be a problem, another room with poor ventilation may suffer badly from it.

My method of thinking was water vapour condensing on a cold spot within an accessory over a period of time and not drying out, unlikely but could happen in extreme circumstances.
Obvious question in response to this ...
Why is a pull-cord switch, mounted on the ceiling where the most humid air goes, immune to this while a switch located lower down where the humidity is lower isn't ? Not only that, but a ceiling mounted switch has a higher chance of having an opening to the attic and it's cold, damp air.

Why is a pull-cord switch, mounted on the ceiling where the most humid air goes, immune to this while a switch located lower down where the humidity is lower isn't ? Not only that, but a ceiling mounted switch has a higher chance of having an opening to the attic and it's cold, damp air.
Spot on.

I would happily use a pull cord in a room so damp the walls were dripping and i couldn't see through the mist to the other side.

touch a wet faced switch plate, hmm not with my finger, probably with an insulated screwdriver.

Your point about DIY, ers may well be valid. From the links you posted I get the impression that the idea of zones in bathrooms is a relatively new developement for the French. But it's clear that they will allow a light switch to be installed in 0.7 meters from wet area
Seems we were following EU regs like most other EU countries. Perhaps they were lagging behind, where we were at the forefront. From my 'plastic bath' I can't reach the light switch. Are you suggesting we should don't need to concern ourselves with that, and throw caution to the wind?

Think your missing the point there. That piece of yucky string is not potentially put me in contact with electricity, but a normal plate switch might, whilst I'm sat in my bath.

Seems we were following EU regs like most other EU countries. Perhaps they were lagging behind, where we were at the forefront. From my 'plastic bath' I can't reach the light switch. Are you suggesting we should don't need to concern ourselves with that, and throw caution to the wind?
My friend. I
Think your missing the point there. That piece of yucky string is not potentially put me in contact with electricity, but a normal plate switch might, whilst I'm sat in my bath.
Far from throwing caution to the wind I simply suggested that if continentals can educate their kids to use common sense and instruct their kids how to safely use electrical accessories and to not "operate the light switch in the bathroom with wet hands". Do you think something similar is achievable in the UK?

I still can't believe people think it's a good thing to have a conventional light switch in a bathroom.
My friend. I

Far from throwing caution to the wind I simply suggested that if continentals can educate their kids to use common sense and instruct their kids how to safely use electrical accessories and to not "operate the light switch in the bathroom with wet hands". Do you think something similar is achievable in the UK?

A lot of things are achievable, but it doesn't mean they are sensible. Keeping standard rocker switches out of steamy bathrooms is a sensible precaution though.

I really don't understand why you keep labouring the point.

I still can't believe people think it's a good thing to have a conventional light switch in a bathroom.

A lot of things are achievable, but it doesn't mean they are sensible. Keeping standard rocker switches out of steamy bathrooms is a sensible precaution though.

I really don't understand why you keep labouring the point.
I thought I was involved in a discussion. No bother. We, ll leave it at that.

Pull switches in bathrooms pre-date EU regulations. No idea who is following who, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to err on the side of caution.

Reply to Light Switches in Bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net