Discuss Light Switches in Bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I want to fit a light switch on the wall in my new bathroom but I've tried 2 electricians and both will only install a pull cord.

The location of the switch is outside of zone 2, the switch itself is a touch switch rated at IP25, and the circuit is RCD protected. I can't therefore see what the problem is?

I ask them and they just tell me the regs say no switches in bathrooms, only pull cords.

1. Is there something I'm missing in the regs that means I should give up?
2. Being outside zone 2, can I legally fit the switch myself anyway?

Any opinions would be welcomed. Thanks.
Hi.
Why not use a wireless switch using RF to speak to a receiver. Quintec or click smart to good stuff.

Far from throwing caution to the wind I simply suggested that if continentals can educate their kids to use common sense and instruct their kids how to safely use electrical accessories and to not "operate the light switch in the bathroom with wet hands". Do you think something similar is achievable in the UK?
We can’t be trusted to wear masks in public, or stay in the house and not test our eyesight on motorways and dual carriageways. I don’t think its unreasonable to assume we cant be trusted not to touch electrical accessories with wet hands...

?

At the very least it’s reducing human factors related accidents. Everybody makes mistakes, it’d be nice if the consequences were as non-lethal as possible.

We can’t be trusted to wear masks in public, or stay in the house and not test our eyesight on motorways and dual carriageways. I don’t think its unreasonable to assume we cant be trusted not to touch electrical accessories with wet hands...

?

At the very least it’s reducing human factors related accidents. Everybody makes mistakes, it’d be nice if the consequences were as non-lethal as possible.
Apparently, because of the restrictions implemented for Covid, kids have forgotten how to use a knife & fork :)

Apparently, because of the restrictions implemented for Covid, kids have forgotten how to use a knife & fork :)

This is the first year I haven't done the London Marathon because of Covid..... I usually don't do it because I am fat and can't run....

You know those wee screwed plastic connectors on pull-cords? The idea is they isolate you from the nasty electricity?
no, they just allow you to fit a nice fresh new cord without opening the switch.
My apartment has a light switch just inside the bathroom door. No way I can reach it from the shower, and it's a fair stretch from the WHB too...but it's just at my shoulder when I'm sitting on the WC.
I have a pic somewhere...

Thanks for your responses. Yes I can either install a pull cord or a switch outside, but the point of my post is to challenge the general assumption that you can never have a switch in a bathroom.

My response to the points raised:

• I’m confused by the comment that IPx5 isn’t enough to protect against condensation even outside of zones. Even within zones 1 and 2 the legal minimum is IPx4. What’s the minimum you’d recommend for any other accessories in a bathroom then? IPx6? IPx7?
  • The regs state that you can have a normal 240v plug socket can be installed 3m from the boundary of zone 1. My switch would be more than 3m from zone 1, so if condensation is a problem then why can I legally install a regular socket?
I appreciate I’m in the lions’ den here but just wanted to get your views on it
You need to watch John Wards video about light switches in a bathroom. If it's outside zone 1 it's perfectly fine.

You need to watch John Wards video about light switches in a bathroom. If it's outside zone 1 it's perfectly fine.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Just a bit of advice. Check the dates on the posts. This one you replied to was from Nov 2020. Hopefully the light is sorted by now.

It was absolutely fine to fit the switch inside the bathroom in 2020, and is absolutely fine now.
Good news is that we are now able to fit a socket in a lot more bathrooms that we could a month ago. That 0.5m reduction doesn't sound a lot, but it means a socket can be fitted in a bathroom 30% smaller than before.

It was absolutely fine to fit the switch inside the bathroom in 2020, and is absolutely fine now.
Good news is that we are now able to fit a socket in a lot more bathrooms that we could a month ago. That 0.5m reduction doesn't sound a lot, but it means a socket can be fitted in a bathroom 30% smaller than before.
No longer working, so don’t keep up to date on all the reg changes, but would like to know this one.

A better thing for bathrooms would be a moisture sealed USB charger socket for folks wanting to use phone/tablet on low battery.

Not me, I would rather not drop £200-500 of electronics in the bath, but the young 'uns seem to like doing that.

A better thing for bathrooms would be a moisture sealed USB charger socket for folks wanting to use phone/tablet on low battery.

Not me, I would rather not drop £200-500 of electronics in the bath, but the young 'uns seem to like doing that.
A note below Regulation 553.1.201 does not regard a USB charging point as a socket-outlet.

Reply to Light Switches in Bathrooms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net