Discuss Lighting circuit with no CPC, fail??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tinned copper.
they dont make em like they use to.
its more conductive, stronger and lasts 10 times longer than normal copper, also prevents against corrosion. think they jst forgot to put the cpc in back in the 50s

it's still, or used to be 15 years ago lol, common practice in fine stranded on boards and in panels.

Nope, nothing acting as CPC. I did the report yesterday and failed it, customer rang this morning and tore strips off me as she's had someone else in and they've passed it. The other big issue is that the Insulation Resistance on the ringmain Line to CPC was 3.4M. OK, just scrapes through...but not good. How can someone pass it. They told her just to use plastic light switches and she'll be alright LOL There is even brass wall lights. I mean....really?!?!?!?!?!?
couldn't you just ask her to sign a disclaimer, stating that she (and her children - if she has any) are more than happy to take the place of the cpc in the event of a fault? and while she's at it, get her to put you in her will.

A sparks that works for the company came and told me that the scrappy wouldnt take the 3 sacks of cable he had taken out a rewire because it was steel. He had the right hump when I explained to him about tinned copper, he had left it with them to throw out... live and learn :)

I can confidently state, that this guy was anything BUT a sparks, if he thought these cables had steel conductors!!! lol!!

I can confidently state, that this guy was anything BUT a sparks, if he thought these cables had steel conductors!!! lol!!

Ive had the same suspicion, he's from the old school 67 and still working. You would have thought at that age he would have known. Thinking I might have to pull him up on it, but it was a long time ago though. :smile:, maybe he didnt wana argue with the pikeys in the scrappy :eek:sama::eek:sama: Oh and ive just found the smileys...

:drummer:

All i can say is whoever the idiot was who offered to pass it needs to be taken outside and shot. Sounds like ya typical do anything as long as his pockets are bulging at the end regardless if the fact that peoples safety is put at risk!

You'll probably find that the conduit has been used as an earth. If the loop test is satisfactory and there is no obvious degradation (which I doubt) then the installation must only be as good as the regs, probably 13th or14th, defined at the time of installation. I think a good visual inspection will prove that this installation needs rewiring, put away your instruments and use your common sense.

You'll probably find that the conduit has been used as an earth. If the loop test is satisfactory and there is no obvious degradation (which I doubt) then the installation must only be as good as the regs, probably 13th or14th, defined at the time of installation. I think a good visual inspection will prove that this installation needs rewiring, put away your instruments and use your common sense.
the op has already said there was no conduit being used as cpc.

Reply to Lighting circuit with no CPC, fail??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net