Discuss LINE launch the BS5733 maintenance free (MF) kit for Junction Boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ok lets open a can of worms

I am kind of warming to this little device, and if people used them then IMO could do away with neutrals at switches!

not sure about the maintenance free bit though.

ok lets open a can of worms

I am kind of warming to this little device, and if people used them then IMO could do away with neutrals at switches!

I think I'll stay out of that little discussion :)

not sure about the maintenance free bit though.
Well you have a choice of either this, the ashley j803 (which uses the same connector design I think) or soldering or crimping.

btw. to answer your previous question, yes- it uses spring clamps with a pretty strong spring force.

I think the whole "maintenance free" bit is a can of worms. I reckon if I was to bury something in a wall then I would probably still prefer to use crimping if I could but that is probably just because I am old fashioned. These little beasties appear to meet the relevant standards as well as anything else available so I'll certainly be very happy to use them when necessary.

Lets face it, a lot of sparks just use wago boxes and connectors which don't even claim to be maintenance free. Actually, a lot of "electricians" just use standard screw terminal junction boxes........

does this 'thing' have springs inside?
if not, how does it clamp the cable?
mf spring diagram.jpg
For the cable clamp see: http://www.lineproducts.co.uk/forumshop/K97-A5-inside.pdf

If something has a moving part (spring) then IMO it is not maintenance free

It is a bit like the arguments about push fit piping. a nice soldered joint gives the feeling of security but push fit has been tested and is supposed to be fine. I reckon both push fit piping and "maintenance free" junction boxes are here to stay.

I would certainly use them, but only if they was accessible after installation. As we know any join needs to be accessible as per the regs.

The one thing that struck me was, as this is just being launched on an electricians website and half of us looked at the picture and did not know what it was (even after clicking on the picture to see in better detail)
the launch has lost some of its impact.
If you are going to launch something, surely it could have been explained better and with better diagrams.

Hence creating a thread so we can all discuss what the score is here. I'm sure by now (bottom of page 2) you're all aware of what it's job is, right?

Well I like their products and will continue to use them.....another order shortly.

However has brman put a cpc in with the live conductors????

May be that ive had too many ciders?

Can anyone else see my point?

Last edited:
Well I like their products and will continue to use them.....another order shortly.

However has brman put a cpc in with the live conductors????

May be that ive had too many ciders?

Can anyone else see my point?

too many ciders! ;)

actually, you are right. how embarrassing......

At least we agree that the product is good!!!

The RCD wont reset!!!

Bloomin plasterers, could be the plumber......

I would have spent ages blaming plasterers for damaging my cables!!!!

Last edited:
At least we agree that the product is good!!!

The RCD wont reset!!!

Bloomin plasterers, could be the plumber......

I would have spent ages blaming plasterers for damaging my cables!!!!

yeh, on second thoughts maybe I should avoid putting MF boxes in inaccessible places......

In my defence I'd been messing round with different cable types/sizes and wasn't taking too much notice of where I put them. It was only an example ;)

Used up my first bag of line enclosures last week. Will be getting another, but can the delivery costs be reduced. Can post something heavier and bigger Special Delivery for less!

I have placed several orders with Farrel now and cannot rate his products or customer service highly enough. As soon as I heard of the new mf range I requested a sample and it was with me the next day.

I hear people mentioning other brands that do a similar thing but I too have tried the hager, ashley and wago enclosures now and the Line enclosure is by far the easiest to work with. I think the main reason for this is because of it's rounded profile that enables YOU to be in control of how you dress the cables in. It also fits nicely through down-lighter cut outs.

If anyone is stuck in their ways and is posting negative comments I really do urge you to contact Farrel and request a sample and actually trial it. It'll cost you nothing for the sample and I'm sure you'll gain a better idea of just how simple and easy to use this product is.

It's so simple and effective that I'm sure there are many out there that wish they had come up with the idea lol

:thumbsup

Just to add to the positive comments,

When my guys first saw these they were not impressed....

we have been using hager/ashley/wago etc.......

Well I now have a large stock of hager/wago/ashley as they prefer this product!!!!

We call it "THEM BLACK EGG THINGS" and we are using these more than anything else, just easy to use!

Try them!

Last edited:

Reply to LINE launch the BS5733 maintenance free (MF) kit for Junction Boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net