Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Longest meter tails you've seen in a property? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
The property I was at today meter tails need upgraded as the supply to the consumer unit ain't big enough, anyway the local authorities power supply comes in the garage to an old fashioned isolator (one of those with the handle on it) and then the meter tail comes out and travels about twenty meters to a brick wall, goes through it to an old fuse board at the other side. Never seen one go twenty metres before! Am sure theres bound to be someone here who has seen longer?!

Last edited:
The tails go through a fuse unit, so where’s the problem?

You’ve never seen it before, I’ll bet plenty others have!

Electricity has been around long before you!

The tails go through a fuse unit, so where’s the problem?

You’ve never seen it before, I’ll bet plenty others have!

Electricity has been around long before you!

Agreed
I am an "other" and I am only a spring chicken as well
icon11.png

icon7.png

Tony has it in one my friend, if the tails are longer than 3m, then as long as the have a isolator, and are fused i.e. a switch fuse, which is this device you describe, then they can be as long as required, i have seen them as long as 20m with a switch fuse.

Think a few people here are getting the wrong end of the stick! I never said there was a problem for a start! I was merely asking what the longest length of meter cables others had seen but thought I'd describe the situation to save me having to answer other questions!! But thanks to those who replied in a pleasant manner.

Last edited:
To answer your original query, ive seen tails of varying lengths over my 23yrs exp' but the longest was 16mm^2 tails running direct off meter 25m through under-drawing to dist' board other side of house fused only by main cutout.

I’ll apologise first because it was me that started the ball rolling.

But back to the original point, so long as the tails are suitably protected and up to the job then what the hell, they could be from here to the next county.

Just don’t as me to help pull the new tails in.

I’ll apologise first because it was me that started the ball rolling.

But back to the original point, so long as the tails are suitably protected and up to the job then what the hell, they could be from here to the next county.

Just don’t as me to help pull the new tails in.

Love to see the volts drop on that lol

Crimping the lugs on was the problem. Chain blocks to lift the crimper head! 1000mm 4 sector solidall were even more fun, it’s like trying to bend scaffold poles. It goes where it wants to, sod any ideas you may have had.

Can someone please explain why the requirement for a switch fuse? I know the 'meter tails over 3m' bit but am trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

What I don't understand is what is different 'protection wise' between having a service head with a fuse, and having a switch fuse? apart from the switch bit of course ;-) or is the requirement to have a SH with a fuse, and a switch fuse?

Cheers

Can someone please explain why the requirement for a switch fuse? I know the 'meter tails over 3m' bit ...................

For the reasons you don't need protection for <3m, courtesy of Richard Burns off another thread...have a look at these regs: This protection can only be omitted for a cable run less than 3m and protected to prevent damage.
See 433.2.2, 433.3 and 434.2.1

Reply to Longest meter tails you've seen in a property? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net