Discuss Looking for old transformer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kushty

DIY
Reaction score
Hello- please help! Got the Xmas tree up which has inbuilt lights but can’t find transformer. Searched on line and still can’t find. Photo of details attached. Not sure what to do. Is this a lost cause? Xmas tree is 15 years old. Any help gratefully received. Thanksimage.jpg

Ok. eBay isn’t your friend. It lies!

well you need one with same V output, and VA output.... and take the same pin shape.
Have you tried John Lewis customer services?

It looks like the light string is the standard 2 pin that’s quite common now, with a D shape so it only fits one way. Roughly 10mm diameter, 6mm between pins?

The one I linked to on eBay has the same transformer number, but the socket is a round pin and a flat wide pin. Like a 70’s hi fi speaker socket.

Reactions: DPG

Attachments

• F3EA8BEC-90B0-4062-8CBA-2F0C449E49C8.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 3
  • F1F49AE8-9DA2-4F0D-AE9A-D4F9B410460B.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4
The distance between the pins is 5mm, so distance from the centre of the pins would be 6mm. The shape isnt D shaped but oval and symmetrical and so could go in either way - which makes me think it doesn’t matter which way it goes in- can that be right?. I’ve ordered the ebay transformer in case there is a way to connect the two. Any ideas of how to connect both gratefully received. I guess I would at least need the connector type that goes into the transformer. No idea how to get that or what the type is called. Thanks for your help.

I was thinking the same... and I'm sure I've seen this used on similar light systems before...
Do you think the following connector is what I need? But looks like I’d have to cut off the current connector to the lights?!

Attachments

• 503E03EB-F205-48CB-B96D-8CD2C11E744D.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 3
It looks like the light string is the standard 2 pin that’s quite common now, with a D shape so it only fits one way. Roughly 10mm diameter, 6mm between pins?

The one I linked to on eBay has the same transformer number, but the socket is a round pin and a flat wide pin. Like a 70’s hi fi speaker socket.
Thank you. I got it working!

Nice one! Thanks for letting us know.

Reply to Looking for old transformer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net