Discuss Mains voltage 275v?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Any piece of kit sold in the UK should be OK on 248V. Many will survive operating at 260, 270, maybe even 280V. If it went pop purely because of the presence of 248V I would want my money back.

My mains is often above 240V, I operate hundreds of pieces of sensitive and expensive electronic equipment and I certainly wouldn't bother with one of those optimiser things. I only measure it out of interest.

dear sir ,what is the incoming supply to your home ,wheather it is 3phase supply,or 1phase supply,suppose to be you are availing 3phase supply the neutral definitly some where opened,please chek

Any piece of kit sold in the UK should be OK on 248V. Many will survive operating at 260, 270, maybe even 280V. If it went pop purely because of the presence of 248V I would want my money back.

My mains is often above 240V, I operate hundreds of pieces of sensitive and expensive electronic equipment and I certainly wouldn't bother with one of those optimiser things. I only measure it out of interest.

Nice pic Lucien !
Haven't seen a mercury arc rectifier for a long time
it's one thing you never forget
the UV given off must be off the scale.

what happens to the voltage if you place a decent load on the socket ?
does it stay high or go down/away ?
It stayed the same. However the electricity board came out and concluded that it was my meter that was up the duff. His proper one shower the mains voltage as 248v and said I must live near a sub station and that those levels were fine. New multimeter for me I think.

I don't know who you talked to at the place you got your transformer but to distribute any electrical items within the UK they are required to work on our mains voltage (nominal 230v in your case), this includes the allowed tolerances for which our supply is legally allowed to fall within (mentioned earlier). The company that sold you the TX may not understand this as they maybe just distributors and not savvy in electrical talk, it also be the case they maybe one of the many distributors out there that are importing cheap chinese rubbish which is falsly CE marked. I take it your product is CE marked?... if so then it should work comfortably at 248v.

The Chinese put C.E on everything to indicate "Chinese Export" (allegedly..)

Yes this has be mentioned before but the symbol CE users is copyrighted and cannot be confused with CE if they put it on for any other reason, it is down to the distributor to ensure a product from outside the EU is compliant and this means it should be tested and checked by a third party to assure it meets all standards, with big international companies this is easy as their brand name often is good enough but China is one of the biggest black markets for fake goods in the world so it all needs independently varifying.

It was a reputable place called Tagra and have their branding on the tx. I have bought cheap Chinese ones before and this was definitely of better quality. The electric guy said it might be EU spec as he thinks they have a slightly lower voltage as standard. It was rated at 200-240 my one. The company said 'oh we have never had one back before'. I said well you have now.

Consequently I have only been able to fine one UK company that does a constant voltage 12v 50w mains dimable driver that works 220-250v. Everything else is 220-240 and can't risk running with my 248v house mains. I found one the other day marked '230v 10%' but then realised it was 12v AC output, not DC. Was only £7 too. The one I mentioned above is £35!!!

Anything sold within the UK has to be compliant with our nominal voltage and the legal tolerances that the voltage may exist at, the lables on many electrical good only state the nominal voltage but by design they are required to allow for the 216v-253v (if I recall correctly) that my be present.

Oh right. So maybe it was a faulty individual tranny then as it was labelled 200-240. On the input side of the transformer, there was a capacitor looking chip with 135 degrees on the side. I don't know if it was a capacitor or an overheat protection type thing. Either way, this had burn out. I presumed from the 248 V input.

Reply to Mains voltage 275v?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net