Discuss MCS wind/weight loading advice sought in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

We have just had an MCS inspection and have been advised that we need to get independent wind/weight load assessments on each roof we install on, even if it is a new roof. The assessor said that this section of MCS was open to interpretation but may be something they insist on in the future.

Has anyone else encountered this at assessment stage/what do you do as standard?

U can do wind calcs yourself! structual report on every job u carry out! they never said anything to me at assesment but on your next one they will want proof!

Hi,

I am Bryan of BMG Surveys Ltd. I carry out wind loading checks for Solar PV Installers on Residential Properties.

By filling in a simple questionare and returning it I can produce a report and return to you normally within 24 hours. I can forward you an example of a report for your perusal if you like.

I charge ÂŁ70 per survey and they have been accepted by various Local Authorities and MCS themselves during audits.

If you wish to discuss further you can contact me at [email protected]

thanks,

Bryan

As a consumer I spoke to someone at MCS yesterday. Re the structural survey and wind calcs she told me that these were only required if there was any doubt about the structural integrity of the roof otherwise there was no need for them. Maybe they dont really know themselves hence the inconsistent approach.

DID U GET THERE NAME ? i can use it in my defence :) niceic man comes a knocking as i didnt get any done for my first 2 jobs! even though i have no doubt about roof integrity!! the rest have calcs!!

Thanks for the replies, i have had some conversations with others in the industry and there is confusion. Maybe when (whenever!) the 3rd edition DTI gets published MCS will catch up and give the correct info.

I did wonder at the MCS rep during the inspection as he plugged the company NAPIT endorse for roof surveys. They charge about ÂŁ95 for a desk top report which is indemnified. Is this in line with what you guys pay?

Reply to MCS wind/weight loading advice sought in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net