Discuss Melted Plug and Socket cause in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

zerozero7

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
Washing machine plug and socket melted around Neutral pin. Whilst removing socket faceplate, noticed one brown wire was not in the terminal. May have come out of the terminal when pulling the socket forward or may have been out all the time.
Is this lose or disconnected live cable the 'definate' cause of the overheating on the neutral pin?
Thanks, Gary

1632043953857920798823276740749.jpg

16320440881304176908877903406629.jpg

If the loose live wire was causing a problem, the heat damage would be showing around that terminal.

I think this has been caused be the neutral socket not having a good grip on the plug pins.
It can happen with older sockets, or ones that are plugged/unplugged constantly.
Can also happen if the sockets have had those plastic “child safety” shields fitted

That looks like the contacts between the plug and socket were not making proper contact.

It could be an undersized plug (cheap China incorrect size)

It could be oversized socket - poor quality socket (BG) or having an oversized plug inserted previously -- typically the ridiculous "child safety" things that reduce the safety, but the public uses.

It could be corroded contacts - usually the plug as the brass contacts get wet and go green, especially with stuff near washing machines, in garages etc.

Although the incoming connection may have been loose that actually wasn't the cause here - it does show that you probably need to get the installation checked properly though.

That looks like the contacts between the plug and socket were not making proper contact.

It could be an undersized plug (cheap China incorrect size)

It could be oversized socket - poor quality socket (BG) or having an oversized plug inserted previously -- typically the ridiculous "child safety" things that reduce the safety, but the public uses.

It could be corroded contacts - usually the plug as the brass contacts get wet and go green, especially with stuff near washing machines, in garages etc.

Although the incoming connection may have been loose that actually wasn't the cause here - it does show that you probably need to get the installation checked properly though.
why knock BG .I fitted loads, never any problems.

why knock BG .I fitted loads, never any problems.
So have I

But it isn't the best quality, and I probably wouldn't use one where it was subject to large loads such as a washing machine/dryer or where it would be plugged in/out a lot.

I have them in my own bedrooms and living rooms etc - to be fair mostly the usb versions, but within the kitchen and utility where there will be kettles and fryers plugged and unplugged and for the dishwasher and washing machine, I have used more premium examples.

we got kettle (3kW) and micro (1kW) in a double BG with usb. been in 6 years, no problems. in garage, washer, tumbler, 3 freezers all in 2 x BG doubles, extension lead for freezers.

Reply to Melted Plug and Socket cause in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net