Discuss Melted socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jhcp1977

DIY
Reaction score
Hi can simeone give me advice I had a electricia install a outside socket that has melted the plug before I ring him can someone tell me if it's been installed correctly? I can't find the makes anywhere online are they inferior products?
I am not happy as my daughter was in the hot tub at the time so shouldn't have something tripped in the house or the RCD on the lazyspa ? As with it all being melted it was still working it's only because she could smell burning I was alerted to it ?
So from what I can see the middle switch is what it's connected to with a single cable running to a outside weatherproof socket any help appreciated

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_073307083.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20210428_074112762.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 72
obviouslyoverheated, but what's that stuff that looks like chip fat running down the socket?

It's just like soot but with it being open all night it's got condensation on it and it's run as for the installation is it correct before I ring the electrician and make a fool of my self or is it just something that sometimes happens

Please show some photos of plug and if it has a screwed on top the insides of the plug too. Also a picture of the specification plate of spa or model number.

It's just like soot but with it being open all night it's got condensation on it and it's run as for the installation is it correct before I ring the electrician and make a fool of my self or is it just something that sometimes happens
Why was it open all night? that type of outside socket has a lid that can be closed once the appliance has been plugged in, did you in fact do that or was the socket left exposed whilst the spar was in use? The socket could have been splashed with water from the spar, which contain chemicals and compromised the plug.

Please show some photos of plug and if it has a screwed on top the insides of the plug too. Also a picture of the specification plate of spa or model number.
Thankyou is this the specification plate ?

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_084328606.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20210428_084347789.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20210428_084403957.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 71
Strange specification, Heating: 2050W, Heating + Bubbles: 1850W I suppose it could cut off one of the heating elements to start the bubble pump, but a bit odd.

Hi can simeone give me advice I had a electricia install a outside socket that has melted the plug before I ring him can someone tell me if it's been installed correctly? I can't find the makes anywhere online are they inferior products?
I am not happy as my daughter was in the hot tub at the time so shouldn't have something tripped in the house or the RCD on the lazyspa ? As with it all being melted it was still working it's only because she could smell burning I was alerted to it ?
So from what I can see the middle switch is what it's connected to with a single cable running to a outside weatherproof socket any help appreciated
Looks like the plug top has a loose connection causing the scorching, is the socket leaking? all the, what looks like water marks , I would say it needs a bit of TLC call a Sparky in to sort it out soonest, has the Spa been tested under ISITEE (PAT tested)?

Looks like the plug top has a loose connection causing the scorching, is the socket leaking? all the, what looks like water marks , I would say it needs a bit of TLC call a Sparky in to sort it out soonest, has the Spa been tested under ISITEE (PAT tested)?
Yeah going to but my concern is nothing tripped should it have ?

Ok thank you but shouldn't have something tripped ?
Unfortunately not, the MCB will only trip on overload, the RCD will trip on leakage faults between lives and earth, the only thing that could trip if you had one would be a AFDD (Arc Fault detection device) these have proved themselves to be somewhat unreliable in the US where they are in use on most installations.

Can you post a copy of the electrical installation certificate?
remove or blank the personal details.

Yeah going to but my concern is nothing tripped should it have ?
That looks like overheating of the plug, normally the fuse would go if it was all to specification and really overloaded, but often poorer plugs are not able to really do 13A for long periods.

What is the hot tub specification? I.e. is it designed for use with a 13A supply plug & socket.

That looks like overheating of the plug, normally the fuse would go if it was all to specification and really overloaded, but often poorer plugs are not able to really do 13A for long periods.

What is the hot tub specification? I.e. is it designed for use with a 13A supply plug & socket.
Does this help ?

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_084403957.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 12
that load should be no problem for a 13A plug. as previous posts, I'd say original cause in plug at the fuse. either way, you need a new outside socket.

that load should be no problem for a 13A plug. as previous posts, I'd say original cause in plug at the fuse. either way, you need a new outside socket.
Yep got the electrician coming next week can you tell me was she in any danger in the hottub while this was going on as I am in 2 minds to bin it if she was incase it happens again

Reply to Melted socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net