Discuss Memory Help! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spudnik

Chaps,

My brain is fried and i need to know how many Megabytes in a Gigabyte.

Dont laugh, its been a long day! :D

Or better still, how many megabytes in 500 gigabytes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fellas.

I was trying to set up my NAS and it asks for megabytes even thought the disk in gigabytes.

So i plumped for 300000 megabytes and it worked :D

Ta again :)

Both right and wrong :)
Officially there are 1000 MB in 1 GB
However, in a throughback to the early days of 8 bits in a byte (due to the early processors [which I built custom made flow control computers with]) alot of manufacturers still use 1024 MB in a GB
However, when you format a hard drive of this sort of size you will always end up with less space then you would expect due to the formatting process.

I always thought the 1024 came from the fact that computers work on the binary system of 1's and 0's
That's coz it does :D

In binary you end up with the following units (powers of 2), instead of 1's 10's 100's etc

1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096 8192 16384 32768 65536 (64k) etc

So when dealing with storage allocation (as opposed to hard disk manufacturer size claims) you end up with 1k=1024, 1m=1024k, 1g=1024m.

Hard disk manufacturers tend to use 100, 1000 etc when quoting sizes for the disk drives, the OS however will still allocate in a number of sectors (usually 512bytes for most pc's, but some other systems use other sizes eg IBM's i5/OS uses 528 byte sectors). As already said formatting the disk will reduce the amount of space available for user data (used for file allocation table/indexes/journals etc).

Reply to Memory Help! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net