Discuss meter cabinet consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Everything has an IP rating. Are you asking if a water-resistant consumer unit to IP65 is necessary? then I would say no. A meter cabinet provides a reasonable degree of protection. The service head and the meter are not in any way waterproof!

Are we talking about a meter cabinet that is embedded into a wall, designed for that purpose?

Ive seen normal consumer units fitted outside in nothing more than what can only be described as a wooden box.

In the UK, the DNOs do not permit any equipment other than their own to be fitted in their meter cabinet, although as long as you don't ask, and you position your CU well clear of anywhere you may think that they might fix equipment in the future, then you'll probably get away with it.
The DNO equipment is IP20, but I'd recommend !P55 minimum for anything you may fit

In the UK, the DNOs do not permit any equipment other than their own to be fitted in their meter cabinet, although as long as you don't ask, and you position your CU well clear of anywhere you may think that they might fix equipment in the future, then you'll probably get away with it.
The DNO equipment is IP20, but I'd recommend !P55 minimum for anything you may fit
Yes, I am aware of that but thank you for pointing it out.
However, this is a second empty cabinet for the customers use with tails for the garden csu through to the DNO meter cabinet.

Metal?????
It will not be inside the premises so a “fire resistant” CU is not necessary.
That was my initial thought and raised that point on here.
I had the following advice :

"It is within the boundary of the dwelling so would need to be compliant."

With the reason for being metal or non combustible obviously being the fire risk, if the meter cabinet is breaching the cavity, is that not a fire risk to the property ? ?

you need to weigh up the pros and cons. metal rusts, plastic is not non-combistible.

Reply to meter cabinet consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net