Discuss Minor Works Certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No..... and why are the NICEIC involved?

He rang me and asked if I could help. I have charged him money in exchange. That money goes towards paying for shelter and food for my family.

I use NICEIC competent person scheme. I would be genuinely interested if there is a better way of certificating and notifying domestic work.

He rang me and asked if I could help. I have charged him money in exchange. That money goes towards paying for shelter and food for my family.

I use NICEIC competent person scheme. I would be genuinely interested if there is a better way of certificating and notifying domestic work.

Why did the DIYer think it needed certifying and notifying?

Is this an extension under building control?

The only way is to carry out an EICR ideally on the whole installation, the problem with limiting to the altered circuits is that your eyes are always going to wander. What if the works carried out are fine but the rest of it is poor, do you turn a blind eye. Surely these works weren't notifiable anyway.

Lets not get the MWC certificate mixed up with my membership of NICEIC. The DIYers work doesn't need notifying. You asked why are NICEIC involved that because I use their online certification system.

I believe it needs a Minor Works Certificate because my copy of the wiring regs say "The Minor Works Certificate is intended to be used for additions and alterations to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit. Examples include the addition of socket-outlets".

I accept that NICEIC won't accept their system being used for 3rd party work. If you have another suggestion other than doing an EICR, I'm all ears.

The only way is to carry out an EICR ideally on the whole installation, the problem with limiting to the altered circuits is that your eyes are always going to wander. What if the works carried out are fine but the rest of it is poor, do you turn a blind eye. Surely these works weren't notifiable anyway.

I haven't said the work was notifiable. I was answering a question as to why I use NICEIC, one reason is for notifying work, but not in this case.
Section D of an EICR specifies the areas to be covered in the report and those that are not. So I can't see why the report can't be produced just covering the alter circuits and ZE, prospective fault current and RCD operation times.

There is no other option. It may be a commercial decision to be giving some sort of certification for other people's DIY work but I would personally recommend you steer clear of it, I can see why the NIC take a dim view on it.

I haven't said the work was notifiable. I was answering a question as to why I use NICEIC, one reason is for notifying work, but not in this case.
Section D of an EICR specifies the areas to be covered in the report and those that are not. So I can't see why the report can't be produced just covering the alter circuits and ZE, prospective fault current and RCD operation times.
Can't you not see the problem with what you are doing.

Imho it's best to decline any work that involves testing any diy work........

And how did the NICEIC know what you had done?

That's probably great advice which I will take on board. The NICEIC online cert system doesn't allow you complete the cert with other peoples information in the box specifying who constructed it. Not knowing they wouldn't issued certs for 3rd party work I asked them why.

An EICR can cover as little or as much of an installation as the inspector agrees with the client.

As for a 3 part signature MWC I've never seen one of those.

Reply to Minor Works Certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net