Discuss My "Line/Wago" Products experience... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

Well I decided that it was time to give these little goodies a run out and I was pleasantly surprised at just how much easier they are to use. The push fit connectors are an absolute joy to work with.

Here are some photos I took during the wiring of the first two, still many more to go.

389.jpg403.jpg404.jpg405.jpg406.jpg407.jpg408.jpg409.jpg410.jpg412.jpg413.jpg414.jpg402.jpg401.jpg390.jpg391.jpg392.jpg393.jpg394.jpg395.jpg396.jpg397.jpg398.jpg399.jpg400.jpg415.jpg

These two junction boxes and connector blocks were used to supply a lighting radial, a loop in, loop out, switch wire and a cable going to the pendant in the first and then a loop in, loop out, switch wire, downlighter 1 and downlighter 2. There is no way I would have been able to wire this in the choc boxes that I was using previously. Perhaps some of you guys could but not me. It was so nice not having to spend so much time on getting the dressing in just right in order to get the box lid to shut.

I think it's clear also how the cable tie adds the "requires a tool" to access. The cable tie will only fit once the parts have been correctly twisted together (clicked into position) once this has been done there is no way it's coming undone until the cable tie has been removed.

I was a bit rusty using my old wire strippers. I need to adjust them by the looks of things. Everything being exactly the same length meant that every connection simply slotted into place without a fight and it all looked neat before being locked away and forgotten about.

I'm sure I'll be adding more pictures along the way and adding a few more lines of text should I have any more good or even not so good observations to inform you of. At the moment, it's all good words from me :thumbsup

Another thing I would just like to mention, the customer service is brilliant. I was a little sceptical before ordering but my mind was soon put at ease when a sample junction box and a couple of connectors were sent to me, the day after I placed my order they were on my floor :D

I have to agree with the review, I've been using waggo's and line for a few months now.

Just a comment on your photo's, I notice you label your cables at the ends. I prefer to leave 6'' so that I can still id them after they are terminated.

You could also use wago boxes - specially designed for the wago connectors!

https://www.wagobox.com/

I've never used a wagobox but what I will say is the line junction box is easy to dress into due to the fact that there are no corners for the connector blocks (that have corners also) to get stuck or snagged in. The circular enclosure means that the cables and connector blocks find their own resting place without stress from the enclosure.

Also I forgot to mention, earth sleeving! I hate terminating cpc's with earth sleeving! I check every termination I make to ensure that it is secure and often I have been able to pull a CPC out. I think this may be because when you're pushing the sleeved cpc into position the sheath moves up the cpc giving the impression that good contact is being made. With the push fit connectors you can actually see that the cable has reached it's resting place in full. :thumbsup

Just a comment on your photo's, I notice you label your cables at the ends. I prefer to leave 6'' so that I can still id them after they are terminated.

On the initial labelling I mark the ends of the cable but just before terminating I usually add labelling further up too for future identification purposes:thumbsup

good review, i got sample pack before, when i didnt have a clue, but now i have a clue i think il get some more, cause when i do lights i hate screw terminals especialy when you have lots of lights to do.

didnt think much of the push fit ones, but suppose do a s good a job as the clamps...

the boxes i got were different , but i think were ok for pushing through cut-out.. what diameter is the junction box you have there?? good work

what diameter is the junction box you have there?? good work

I haven't measured yet but my next set of photos is going to show my last enclosure be pushed through the downlighter hole because ther was no access above (well, very little anyway ;)) so I chose to fish all the cables through from each hole with my rods.:thumbsup

good review, i got sample pack before, when i didnt have a clue, but now i have a clue i think il get some more, cause when i do lights i hate screw terminals especialy when you have lots of lights to do.

didnt think much of the push fit ones, but suppose do a s good a job as the clamps...

the boxes i got were different , but i think were ok for pushing through cut-out.. what diameter is the junction box you have there?? good work

LINE are 2" diameter. See this link for further details:
http://www.lineproducts.co.uk/forumshop/K97-A5-inside.pdf

I bought some of these and to be honest hadn't found the need to use them, so they sat in the van for a week or so.

Then while helping out another contractor for a few days this week. I could hear him shouting and swearing, when I came to see what the fuss was about he was struggling to connect a really short cable in the far corner of a ceiling above some pipes, into his strip connectors and choc box.

I gave it a quick go and quickly came to the conclusion it wasn't going to happen, out came the wagos and line boxes. 20 mins later the job was done. It was a real ball ache, I don't know what I would of done without these.

The picture really doesn't give the difficulty much justice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328310259.275234.jpg

I think the LINE stuff is great, ends up looking like a commando plug & socket when put together!

Joining any cable that's short on length I still find a ball ache to join though. Somewhat less so with LINE than anything else I've used but still a mare!

This link will show our main outlets but there are also some others. If none are convenient please let me know and pm me where you are based and the names and branch of wholesalers you use and I will see what I can arrange.
LINE Stockists
East coast of Northern Ireland...more snookered than Lenny if I need then. Line and Meteor should try and hook up me thinks:presents1:

I have been using Wago's now for a couple of years and have to say that I find them the best thing since sliced bread as the saying goes. Here in France we can have some very large junction boxes and wago's make connection times sooooooooooooooooo much shorter especially using the push type as nearly all of the cabelling is done in rigid core singles.

Very rare i use terminal block now its wagos all the time save so much time especially when extending cables in a CDU upgrade ,and yes you can make them look tidy bu i have to admit ive not used the line products sorry line products may be one day

This link will show our main outlets but there are also some others. If none are convenient please let me know and pm me where you are based and the names and branch of wholesalers you use and I will see what I can arrange.
LINE Stockists

Surprised you have not got any in portsmouth, Neweys, Eddys, WF, TLC and screwfix are in spitting distance of each other. Few miles down the road the is Rexel Senate, CEF, Wilts.
Do you supply any of those companies else where? That way I know they can get them in easily.

It's early days for us so getting these places to stock LINE is a long hard process. Any help or advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated!
cef hold stock in some branches (part K97), senate order on a back to back basis for some of their large customers.

However, the deal I am offering for forum members (on the forumshop) can't be beaten!

Love these Wago connectors, been using them for a while but with the Wago boxes and yes find them a little tight at times, where can I source the line boxes as shown in your pics??

I just wish the Line boxes could take 3 X 2.5s, in one end. Was hoping to use them on a recent job, but needed to go back to a Wagobox. They're still the tops when working with 1 and 1.5mm though.

I just wish the Line boxes could take 3 X 2.5s, in one end. Was hoping to use them on a recent job, but needed to go back to a Wagobox. They're still the tops when working with 1 and 1.5mm though.

Your wish comes true! It is possible to get 3 x 2.5's in one end. http://youtu.be/3fsu72gOSTY

When designing LINE we assumed that the likely maximum number of 2.5's would be 3. It is possible to easily insert 2x2.5's. For 32A with the lever connectors this would not fit into the "other" box you mention as there is not enough room for the connectors.

As a matter of interest, what was the nature of the installation that you couldn't take the third cable around to the second opening?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your wish comes true! It is possible to get 3 x 2.5's in one end. 3x2-5in one end LINE Junction Box - YouTube

When designing LINE we assumed that the likely maximum number of 2.5's would be 3. It is possible to easily insert 2x2.5's. For 32A with the lever connectors this would not fit into the "other" box you mention as there is not enough room for the connectors.

As a matter of interest, what was the nature of the installation that you couldn't take the third cable around to the second opening?

I don't understand? What you are saying seems contradictory....

If you assumed a maximum of 3 X 2.5s why didn't you make the line boxes able to take them without modification?

Also, whoever mentioned 32A lever connections? The maximum current when using 2.5mm with lever connectors is 26A not 32A, says so on the connectors themselves if you look closely enough.

The nature of my installation was that I was splitting a radial into 3, and I wanted 1 cable going in and 3 coming out.

I have not finished as yet, and might yet return to using adapted Line Boxes. Just wish they did not need to be reamed beforehand.

Thanks for replying. We are always looking for ways to improve our products therefore always trying to understand reasons for criticism.

I have commented in blue text.

I don't understand? What you are saying seems contradictory....

If you assumed a maximum of 3 X 2.5s why didn't you make the line boxes able to take them without modification? We assumed two out of each end so a total of 4. The size of the opening is dictated by IP2X requirements. So making a larger diameter would not work and changing the shape would have messed with the IP67 option.

Also, whoever mentioned 32A lever connections? The maximum current when using 2.5mm with lever connectors is 26A not 32A, says so on the connectors themselves if you look closely enough. Please see the next post (yellowvanman) post where I will ask a question about this - But I admit that I had assumed a ring, though with hindsight only one spur is allowed per point so it could not have been.

The nature of my installation was that I was splitting a radial into 3, and I wanted 1 cable going in and 3 coming out. I agree that sometimes if one of the cables comes from one direction and the other three go off in another direction it can look neater if one comes in one end and three go out the other. The "other box" would have all 4 coming out of one end. LINE two out of each end or LINE modified one out one end and three out of the other end.

I have not finished as yet, and might yet return to using adapted Line Boxes. Just wish they did not need to be reamed beforehand understood. It's a bit more effort but if you have the length of cables you can just insert 2, sandwich the third between and pull through.

But for a ring circuit cables/connections only need to be capable of 20A.

Please help me understand. I agree that when splicing two cables you only have to consider the current carrying capability of the cable or fuse rating but:

In a ring with a spur it is quite feasible that the spur will draw 32A (or 30A say two 15A appliances or a fault). Therefore, 30A would be flowing through the connector. Minimum rating of the connector should be 30A or fuse rating.

Is this correct?

But for a ring circuit cables/connections only need to be capable of 20A.

What I was questioning was the assumption that I was using lever connectors, as I never mentioned anything about the connectors I was using. As it happens, because I'm doing 1 in, 3 out, I'm using Wago 4 way push-in's :smiley2:

Please help me understand. I agree that when splicing two cables you only have to consider the current carrying capability of the cable or fuse rating but:

In a ring with a spur it is quite feasible that the spur will draw 32A (or 30A say two 15A appliances or a fault). Therefore, 30A would be flowing through the connector. Minimum rating of the connector should be 30A or fuse rating.

Is this correct?
As per the regs (sorry I've only got the red book here - green is in the van) 433.1.5, it states that the current carrying capacity of the cables on a ring should be at least 20A. So it assumes that on a 32A ring that parts of the consumed current flows in different directions back to the consumer unit. The proportion in each leg depends on the position of the current consumed on the ring itself.
It was my assumption that each connection on the wago can take 26A.
So if you have a 2 gang spur, max current is 26A (2 x 13A probably a lot less most of the time and generally in a new build 2.5 wouldn't be big enough for current carrying capacity, with all that insulation around!), this flows into the wago connector on one contact, it then 'splits' down the 2 legs of the ring, so no one leg takes the whole 26A, and if you're close the the mid way point then 13A will flow in the 2 directions.
This is my interpretation could be wrong, but would be interested to see what feedback you get from Wago.

Sorry wasn't meant as a critism. Aren't the levers better than push-in for ccc?

It would appear my eyesight :dozey: is failing me , apparently lever blocks are rated at 24A for 2.5, not 26A as I previously stated. The lettering is so damn small.

But in answer to your question, they both (lever & push-in) seem to be rated at 24A for 2.5mm. As I need 4 way connections, using the 5 lever ones seems unnecessary, when there are 4 way push-in ones readily available that fit the bill.

:)

It would appear my eyesight :dozey: is failing me , apparently lever blocks are rated at 24A for 2.5, not 26A as I previously stated. The lettering is so damn small.

But in answer to your question, they both (lever & push-in) seem to be rated at 24A for 2.5mm. As I need 4 way connections, using the 5 lever ones seems unnecessary, when there are 4 way push-in ones readily available that fit the bill.

:)
Are you sure?
Check out this page:
Wago Online Katalog

Seems to say the lever connectors are rated at 32A, or is it related to cable size as well? Haven't had chance to look at a connector itself though!

Are you sure?
Check out this page:
Wago Online Katalog

Seems to say the lever connectors are rated at 32A, or is it related to cable size as well? Haven't had chance to look at a connector itself though!

Well it definitely says 2.5 - 24A and 4 - 32A (I'm presuming that the 2.5 and 4 are both mm sizes) on the bottom of the lever blocks I have, but now I'm beginning to think that different countries have approved it at different ratings, as next to those ratings is an ENEC logo, a quick Google check of them gives this...

ENEC

But the ratings on the blocks themselves are different from the Wago webpage, as the webpage makes no reference to the item being rated differently depending on what CSA cable is used??
Now I'm totally confused :sick:

Reply to My "Line/Wago" Products experience... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net