Discuss MY TV`s FREEVIEW CHANNELS HAVE WORSE PICTURE QUALITY AFTER SWITCHOVER ! in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

I have had Freeview on all of the TV`s in My Home since Freeview became available - all with a Great Picture.

I live in London as We have just had the `Switchover` on 4th and 18th April - Since then the TV Pictures have been NOT Great and have been adversely affected by the recent `Bad Weather` / Rain etc.

I am sure that I read often in the run up to the Switchover that the Signals would be `Better` and that Bad Weather would NOT affect the Signals ?

I have never seen the Weather affect the Picture / Signals before the Switchover.

I am near the Transmitter Tower for My Area and have had Great Pictures / Signals for over 25 Years - UNTIL NOW !

I cannot imagine that this means I would need to change My Aerials - Why would I have been receiving Great Pictures in the YEARS preceding the `Switchover` BUT Worse Pictures / Signals since then - when it had been stated that the Switchover would Improve the Signals ?

I have tried having the Aerial positions adjusted slightly - but they needed to be returned to the original positions to receive the now Inferior Signals / Pictures.

I cannot Try / use Signal Boosters as I have Sky wired to and connected to the Aerial Sockets of 2 of the TV`s - a Signal Booster interferes with the Signal from the 2nd Output from the Sky Digibox - I think via the small voltage supply to the Magic Eye for the Remote Controls [?] - causing NO Sky Signal - Remove Signal Booster = Sky Signal Works again.

I am hoping for comments from Members regarding the points about My Freeview Signals being Worse since the Switchover AND the Signals / Pictures being BADLY Affected by Bad Weather / Heavy Rain - as most Areas have had the Switchover quite a long time ago do any Members remember these Problems in their Area ?

Regards,

Chris

I got fed up with channel drop out so I removed our old aerial for a super big high gain digi one. The only problem was that I hadn't reckoned on the fact that it is now positioned slightly differently and is effectively immediately above the back door. So where do the birds now sit??!

For those of you mentioning them, there is no such thing as a "Digital Aerial".

@Chris Murphy - I presume you are in the area where you need the Group A aerials? Hmm just checked ... http:// www .aerialsandtv. com/aerials.html#aerialgroups

Yep, you are, if you use Crystal Palace.

When your cable was checked, were any "kinks" found? I have suffered from this in the past.

Also, you mention signal boosters and have issues with these. I notice you are in a high gain area.
However, out of interest, have you tried a Masthead Amp?

I had to use one of these myself, but I get my signal from the Whitehawk Hill in sussex and the signal is low.

For those of you mentioning them, there is no such thing as a "Digital Aerial".

@Chris Murphy - I presume you are in the area where you need the Group A aerials? Hmm just checked ... http:// www .aerialsandtv. com/aerials.html#aerialgroups

Yep, you are, if you use Crystal Palace.

When your cable was checked, were any "kinks" found? I have suffered from this in the past.

Also, you mention signal boosters and have issues with these. I notice you are in a high gain area.
However, out of interest, have you tried a Masthead Amp?

I had to use one of these myself, but I get my signal from the Whitehawk Hill in sussex and the signal is low.

"Hello Mr.Si",

Thanks for your message.

Regarding the so called `Digital Aerials` - I was vehement in stating that there is NO Such thing in one of My Posts on this subject - I do realise that because My Posts have been So LONG that it would be easy to `Miss` a comment - and I realise that some People will NOT want to read all of what I wrote because of these Long Posts - I don`t mean to suggest that You have not read what I wrote.

When the Aerial Cables were checked they had no Damage and looked virtually the same as when New - there were No Kinks etc. - when I fitted the Aerials because I had Scaffolding Up at the time for fitting a New Roof I was able to Fix the Aerial Cables to prevent any `Swinging in the Wind` / Chaffing of the Insulation on the Tiles or Brickwork.

The Problem with Aerial Signal Boosters for My TV Aerials is that because I have TV`s where Sky is connected from the Sky Digibox 2nd Output via a Cable to a `Magic Eye` / the TV Aerial Socket - where obviously the Aerials are also connected via a `Splitter` [Y Piece] - I cannot use Signal Boosters [NOT that the Signal needs Boosting] because when I tried this a few Years ago [and again recently] the Booster caused the Sky Signal to the TV`s that are connected from the Sky Digiboxes 2nd Output / Cable to be `Lost` / Not Received by the TV`s.

This is obviously something to do with the Signal Booster having either Over-ridden the Sky Signal [Via Cable] with the Powerful Signal [?] - or possibly Blocked it because of a Voltage - ?

Regarding a Masthead Amp - I am now under the impression having corresponded with the VERY Helpful Members who have replied to Me about this problem that the Freeview Signals definitely do NOT need Amplifying / Boosting - In fact that the Signals probably need to be Decreased [?].

I am intending to buy a Variable Attenuator and see if adjusting the Signals from the Aerials will help to regain the Excellent Picture Quality that I had BEFORE the Freeview / Digital Switchover.

After purchasing one of these to TRY I will need to be able to Experiment on a Day / Evening with Heavy Rain as that is when the Signal Problems are so bad as to make the Channels that are affected Unwatchable.

I cannot purchase the Attenuator until Sunday and I will then hope for an Evening / Day with Heavy Rain in order to see what happens when I adjust the Aerial Signal [Downwards].

I will definitely Post My `Findings` on here as I really appreciate all of the Very Helpful Information and comments that I have received from Members - Yourself included.

I am intending to purchase the Variable Attenuator that the Link was Posted by Tuttle for from Maplin = £7.99 [Was £9.99 before offer] - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...sg=AFQjCNGYs8SnUWuWfmvySe5rMVhrN2XD1Q&cad=rja AND a `Cheap one` from Toolstation - Cat. No: 86843 = £2.27 - [I was NOT able to include a Link to this here].

Because I will need 6 of these Variable Attenuators IF they work just as well the `Cheap` ones would obviously Save Me a bit of Money.

I will comment on whether there seems to be any difference in the `Attenuation` process between the £10.00 one and the £2.27 one - in case this helps other Members to save Money [?].

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello All",

Just a quick update about My Posting the Results of trying the Two different Variable Attenuators - unfortunately NO Success as yet:

I purchased one from Maplin last Sunday which I tried out on a couple of Aerial Cables during the Week on an Evening when it was raining [which causes the TV Signal problems] - it had NO effect whatsoever - so much so that I doubt that it was actually working [?]

I have exchanged this Today [Sunday 13th] and will try again on a Day / Evening when there is Heavy Rain - I probably will not have to wait long.

I also purchased the cheaper one from Toolstation Today but unfortunately because it was amongst other items that I bought I did not notice until I got Home that the Attenuator has Threaded Connections - presumably for `F Plug` Connectors [?].

IF that is the case I would need `F Plug to Coax Socket Adaptors` [2] @ £2.89 Each - making a Total of £8.05 - £2.27 for the Attenuator at Toolstation - Plus 2X £2.89 for the F Plug Adaptors at Maplin.

This is slightly more than the £7.99 for the Attenuator at Maplin so there would be no point in using these 3 Items - BUT also I am guessing that introducing 2 X Adaptors would obviously have an additional `Attenuating Effect` - Although that may not be a problem when using a Variable Attenuator to [Theoretically] `Turn Down` the Signal - ?

Sorry that I have not been able to give a more positive Result Tonight - I will check again with the replacement Maplin Variable Attenuator - when it Rains [Heavily] again - and Post the Result here.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
I also purchased the cheaper one from Toolstation Today but unfortunately because it was amongst other items that I bought I did not notice until I got Home that the Attenuator has Threaded Connections - presumably for `F Plug` Connectors [?].

IF that is the case I would need `F Plug to Coax Socket Adaptors` [2] @ £2.89 Each - making a Total of £8.05 - £2.27 for the Attenuator at Toolstation - Plus 2X £2.89 for the F Plug Adaptors at Maplin.

Just swap the standard Co-ax plugs for F type plugs, 10 F type plugs are only a couple pounds tops

Just swap the standard Co-ax plugs for F type plugs, 10 F type plugs are only a couple pounds tops

"Hello UNG",

Thanks for your reply - I wanted to be able to Check whether I can use the Toolstation Variable Attenuator to adjust the Aerial Signal Strength to each of 4 TV`s in order to be able to receive a Good Freeview / Digital TV Signal - without it being `Interfered with` during Heavy Rainfall.

I don`t really want to mess about changing these 4 Aerial Cable Plugs to F Plugs and also have to Cut Off an Aerial Plug from a `Good` RF / Aerial Lead and fit an F Plug to that to use between the Attenuator and the TV Aerial Socket to TRY the Attenuator on all of these TV`s.

An easier method would be to purchase the F Plug to Coax Adaptors that I mentioned in My previous Post @ £2.89 each - But as these would add to the £2.27 Cost of the [Toolstation] Attenuator making it Cost just slightly over the Price of the Maplin Variable Attenuator there would be NO Point in doing it that way.

Obviously it would be BEST to purchase the Maplin Variable Attenuators for these TV`s as they will just connect directly to the Aerial Plugs - IF I can establish that they can adjust the Aerial Signal Strength during Heavy Rainfall and cause the Signal Quality to Improve to produce a `Good` Reception.

Tonight I have tried the Maplin Variable Attenuator [Replacement from Sunday] during a Shower of Rain - although it was not Raining Heavily enough to cause problems with the Signal / Reception on Freeview the Attenuator did NOT seem to Alter the Signal in any way whatever the Adjustment - whether at Maximum or Minimum Strength.

I will have to wait for Heavy Rainfall to try this again - when the Signal IS being compromised - perhaps then the Attenuator will alter the Signal Strength and Improve the Signal Quality ?

Regards,

Chris

"Hello All",

Just a quick Update on the situation:

I am still waiting for some Heavy Rainfall so that I can try the Maplin Variable Attenuator again in the conditions where some of My Freeview TV Channels - mainly the ITV Channels and Channels 4 and 5 are completely unwatchable.

We have had over 6 WEEKS where there has been some very Heavy rainfall but since I obtained the [Replacement] Maplin Variable Attenuator there has NOT been ANY `Heavy` Rainfall during which I could try the Attenuator while the Reception / Aerial Signal was giving a Pixalated / Freezing / Sound disrupted Picture.

I have found NO differences to the TV Reception when I tried [2 Of] the Variable Attenuator during just Showers of Rain - but at those times there was NO disruption of the Freeview / Digital Reception.

I was hoping that IF I could try the Attenuator when the Signal IS being Disrupted I MIGHT be able to Lower the Signal Strength and Improve the Signal Quality - Although because the Attenuator does not seem to be `Doing` anything to the Signal Strength [?] - I am NOT very confident that this will work.

Regards,

Chris

I got fed up with channel drop out so I removed our old aerial for a super big high gain digi one. The only problem was that I hadn't reckoned on the fact that it is now positioned slightly differently and is effectively immediately above the back door. So where do the birds now sit??!

Hi mate, I had a similar problem with perching birds, so bought some plastic anti-perch bird spikes - problem solved!
Defender™ Bird Spikes and Pigeon Spikes from Jones and Son (UK) Ltd

"Hello All",

Just a quick Update on the situation:

I am still waiting for some Heavy Rainfall so that I can try the Maplin Variable Attenuator again in the conditions where some of My Freeview TV Channels - mainly the ITV Channels and Channels 4 and 5 are completely unwatchable.

We have had over 6 WEEKS where there has been some very Heavy rainfall but since I obtained the [Replacement] Maplin Variable Attenuator there has NOT been ANY `Heavy` Rainfall during which I could try the Attenuator while the Reception / Aerial Signal was giving a Pixalated / Freezing / Sound disrupted Picture.

I have found NO differences to the TV Reception when I tried [2 Of] the Variable Attenuator during just Showers of Rain - but at those times there was NO disruption of the Freeview / Digital Reception.

I was hoping that IF I could try the Attenuator when the Signal IS being Disrupted I MIGHT be able to Lower the Signal Strength and Improve the Signal Quality - Although because the Attenuator does not seem to be `Doing` anything to the Signal Strength [?] - I am NOT very confident that this will work.

Regards,

Chris

"Hello All",

Still NO Heavy Rainfall - Hopefully We will now be getting `Spring and Summer Weather` so perhaps I won`t have to wait much longer !

I will Post the Result of My Checking the Aerial Signal Attenuation process using the Maplin Variable Attenuator - But this might be a while yet.

Regards,

Chris

Hello,Looking through this long thread, Have had similar problems with retuning Freeview,just a few pointers if you dont already know, Have you tried a New seperate freeview box connected to your scart input on your tv.this would isolate the problem from the tv,
If your TV is a crt type or a flat panel with built in Freeview or seperate box , some older tvs and freeview boxes when retuned have problems with channel dropout on certain channels on digital namley channel 28 , see coverage for programs on crystal palace transmitter info on internet.
Aerials Group A (red) for the London area will cover channels 21-37.A wide band aerial (black) will cover channels 21-68 with loss of gain due to the larger bandwidth.
If you have more than 1 tv connected to your aerial system there must be an amplifier in circuit .try your attenuators in the aerial input to your amplifier for overall signal reduction.Vince.

Hello,Looking through this long thread, Have had similar problems with retuning Freeview,just a few pointers if you dont already know, Have you tried a New seperate freeview box connected to your scart input on your tv.this would isolate the problem from the tv,
If your TV is a crt type or a flat panel with built in Freeview or seperate box , some older tvs and freeview boxes when retuned have problems with channel dropout on certain channels on digital namley channel 28 , see coverage for programs on crystal palace transmitter info on internet.
Aerials Group A (red) for the London area will cover channels 21-37.A wide band aerial (black) will cover channels 21-68 with loss of gain due to the larger bandwidth.
If you have more than 1 tv connected to your aerial system there must be an amplifier in circuit .try your attenuators in the aerial input to your amplifier for overall signal reduction.Vince.

"Hello Vince",

Thanks for your reply - I have these [previously described] problems on 4 TV`s - 3 of these have Freeview Boxes and 1 has Freeview Built-into the TV - these are connected to 3 Aerials which are located on different parts of the Roof of My Home.

There are NO Amplifiers at all on these TV` Aerials / Aerial Cables and for YEARS before the Digital Switchover I had Excellent Reception on All of those TV`s - I was `Fully Set Up` Years in advance of the Digital Switchover.

The Problems that I have described here started EXACTLY on the SECOND Switchover Day of the Digital Switchover - there was Heavy Rainfall on the afternoon of that day and during periods of the next few Days and the Reception Problems that I have described were displaying throughout those periods of Heavy Rainfall.

As You know there was some very Heavy Rainfall during April and the beginning of May - the same Reception Problems were evident at each period of Heavy Rainfall.

I do have a Spare / New Freeview Box which I did try on each TV at the time of the Switchover / Problems - this did NOT make any difference - the Freeview Reception on some Channels - mainly the ITV Channels - Channels 4 & 5 was still Unwatchable.

I have purchased a Variable Attenuator from Maplin - Unfortunately [For this purpose] there has NOT been ANY Heavy Rainfall since I bought it - I have tried the Attenuator to see if the Signal Strength seemed to Alter from the Highest Setting to the Lowest - there did NOT seem to be ANY noticeable difference.

I am still hoping that I MAY be able to change the Signal Strength during a period of Heavy Rainfall / Signal Quality Disruption to alter the Signal Quality to an acceptable level [?] - I will try this the next time that I am at Home during Heavy Rainfall.

I have been told by a couple of Friends that they had similar problems [although not as bad] at the time of the Digital Switchover - they said that after having problems for DAYS [still during the period of Heavy Rainfall] the Freeview Reception went back to Excellent - Perhaps what I experienced for a few Weeks was a problem with the Broadcasted Signals for the Channels that were affected ? - I hope that this will be the case.

I will Post the Results of My `tests` wuth the Attenuator on here - But who knows when I will get the opportunity to check with the Attenuator during prolonged Heavy Rainfall ?

Thanks again Vince for your interest and reply to Me.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris ,
As all your Aerials are affected and are outside and only when it rains, Could be trees in line of sight with the aerials, coming into summer, leaves on the trees, wet leaves, reflecting signal,signals lower when rains .
Are your aerials on poles away from the roof,as roofs when wet, also reflect signals especialy when mounted in loft.
Perhaps this may throw some light on the subject.
Best Regards Vince

Hello Chris ,
As all your Aerials are affected and are outside and only when it rains, Could be trees in line of sight with the aerials, coming into summer, leaves on the trees, wet leaves, reflecting signal,signals lower when rains .
Are your aerials on poles away from the roof,as roofs when wet, also reflect signals especialy when mounted in loft.
Perhaps this may throw some light on the subject.
Best Regards Vince

"Hello again Vince",

Thanks for your suggestions - the thing is that all of My TV`s / Freeview Reception was excellent for Years - Until the Second Day of the Digital Switchover - I had wanted to have Freeview set up on all of My TV`s well before the Digital Switchover and I had achieved that Years before.

The Aerials are on `Masts` fixed really well to Brickwork they were aligned using an Aerial Signal Meter - they were Checked again recently when the problems started using a different Aerial Signal Meter - all were found to be receiving the `Best` / Strongest Signal.

The Trees around My Home are not particularly close to the Aerials / Roofs and have never caused any concern.

The main `indicator` here is that these Signal / Reception problems started on the Second Day of the Digital Switchover - I was at Home on that Day and I actually saw that from the time of Re-Tuning the Freeview Boxes / Freeview Built in TV that the Reception was immediately disrupted / unwatchable - Mainly on the ITV Channels plus Channels 4 & 5.

I had done Re-Tunes as prompted by the Freeview Boxes - Immediately upon turning them On on that Day and when I had the Reception problems I then carried out a Reset / `Tune from New` Re-Tune - which should have `Cleared` the previous Channels from the Freeview Boxes and then Tuned to the `New` Digital / Freeview Settings.

With the TV which has Freeview built in I carried out a Re-Tune and then also returned to Tune from `New Set Up` [Words to that effect] to have Cleared the previous Channel Set Up and Tuned from a New Installation Set Up.

None of this worked and as You know from April and early May - there was a LOT of Rainy Days & Nights for the Reception Problems to exhibit on My TV`s.

Thanks again for trying to help - your suggestions will probably help other People who have problems that are caused by one of the things that You described.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello Tuttle",

Thanks for your reply and the Link to the webpage about the Crystal Palace Transmitter which is the Transmitter for My area of London - I found the Information interesting although I don`t think that it shows any reason for My Problems - unless the Signal Strength Increase could cause them.

The Information about the `Vast` Increase in Signal Strength [10 Times] seems to show that this would actually `Help` the Reception for areas Close to the Transmitter [?].

Regarding Me contacting Local Aerial Companies to ask about My TV Reception Problems since the Digital Switchover - I am NOT being cynical here But:

They would definitely say that they had to send an `Engineer` to check My Aerials - this would obviously be Chargeable and would almost certainly lead to Me being told that I needed ALL the Aerials to be `Upgraded` to the [Non Existent] `Digital Aerials`.

I am aware of `High Gain` Aerials which are [in My opinion] incorrectly referred to as `Digital Aerials` and what I have fitted are versions of these `High Gain` Aerials.

EDIT - HAVING FOUND THE RECEIPT FOR THE AERIALS THAT I FITTED THEY ARE NOT `HIGH GAIN` AERIALS - JUST GOOD QUALITY `GROUP A` MAST AERIALS.

I have this opinion because when Freeview was first available I wanted to get ready to receive it for the TV`s that I had which were not connected to Sky Digiboxes [at that time] and I did contact some Aerial Installation Companies as I THOUGHT that I would need My Aerials Upgraded to `Digital Aerials` - I was NOT aware at that point that there is NO Such Aerial.

These Companies ALL stated that I would need them Upgraded to New `Digital Aerials` and the Quotes for 2 Aerials were Absolutely Ridiculous ! - Hundreds of Pounds !

I declined and started to research about Upgrading Aerials for Freeview / Digital Reception - I then found out that there is NO such thing as a `Digital Aerial`.

About 2 Years before that I had a New Roof put onto My Home and while the Scaffolding was up I Installed 3 new Aerials - Two to the Main Roof / Chimney`s and One to the Extension Roof Gable End - with help and an Aerial Signal `Finder` I positioned these Aerials to obtain `Great Pictures` on the TV`s.

I also had a Sky Installer check the Sky Dishes for the Cable Connections being Waterproof and that there was no degrading of the Satellite Cables at Roof Level and all the way to the entry points into the Building.

I mention this only to explain that My Aerials were already `New` when I was asking about the `Digital Aerial` Upgrade - I had told all of the Aerial Companies that I contacted what I wrote above - They ALL still told Me that there WAS such a thing as a `Digital Aerial` and quoted Hundreds of Pounds to Install 2 !

When the Freeview Channels became available We instantly had Great Pictures on the Freeview Channels using Set Top Boxes - So I assumed that the Aerials were correctly positioned for Freeview - Luckily.

When I purchased a couple of new TV`s they were obviously had built in Freeview - again I received Great Pictures with the existing Aerial positions.

When I had the Freeview Problems after the Switchover recently I had help from some Friends to check the positioning of the Aerials again - having moved the Aerials around we had to return them to the original positions to get the Best Reception for the TV Channels - although the problems still existed on the Freeview Channels which were problematic.

Since then We have noticed - mainly in Bad Weather / Heavy Rain which We have had plenty of recently - that the problems seem to be mainly on the ITV Channels - ITV1 - ITV2 - ITV3 - ITV4 and sometimes Channels 4 and 5 - there does not seem to be as many problems with the other Freeview Channels and seemingly NONE with the BBC Channels.

I cannot be exact about this because We have not spent Hours and Hours watching ALL of the Freeview Channels at times of these Signal Problems.

Thanks again Tuttle for your reply - I appreciate you trying to help Me.

Regards,

Chris

Isn't it a bit like over gassing ???? :)

"Hello Geordie Spark",

I like the analogy - although I understand what another Member stated about the Signal Strength being too strong and perhaps affecting the QUALITY of the Signal - this would ONLY occur during periods of Heavy Rain - I wonder how likely this is ?

When I tried a Variable Attenuator - [2 Of - from Maplin] during just Light Rainfall there did not seem to be ANY Difference to the Signal / Reception at either the Lowest or Highest Signal Strength - Although there was NO Signal Disruption at that time so I cannot be Certain that I can`t alter the Signal Strength to improve the Signal Quality.

I will have to try again when We get some Heavy Rainfall - probably fairly soon as Wimbledon Tennis Weeks will soon be on !

Regards,

Chris

"Hello Geordie Spark",

I like the analogy - although I understand what another Member stated about the Signal Strength being too strong and perhaps affecting the QUALITY of the Signal - this would ONLY occur during periods of Heavy Rain - I wonder how likely this is ?

When I tried a Variable Attenuator - [2 Of - from Maplin] during just Light Rainfall there did not seem to be ANY Difference to the Signal / Reception at either the Lowest or Highest Signal Strength - Although there was NO Signal Disruption at that time so I cannot be Certain that I can`t alter the Signal Strength to improve the Signal Quality.

I will have to try again when We get some Heavy Rainfall - probably fairly soon as Wimbledon Tennis Weeks will soon be on !

Regards,

Chris

Aye .... Wimbledon and the annual Geordie Town Moor Hoppings ............. Guaranteed to make it pish doon !!!!

Something else worth considering ... someone was telling me recently that freeview boxes can sometimes tune themselves into weak signals from other transmitters, which can cause reception problems, and I guess could explain your problem with heavy rain.

I think that I have had this problem with one of my boxes. When the regional BBC news came on one box showed news from the south but my other two boxes showed news from London. Searching though the channels I found that BBC London was actually on channel 325 on that box instead of channel 1.

Maybe try clearing all channels and retuning next time you see the poor reception, e.g. in heavy rain when the signal from other transmitters should be weaker. I've also heard that you can enter your postcode into some boxes, or there may be other ways of controlling which transmitter they tune into.

I seem to remember that with analogue TV you would often find snowy channels while tuning, especially on old TV's with manual tuning, but you would just carry on going until you found a strong signal. I guess that the box could auto tune into one of those weak signals and being digital show a perfect picture most of the time.

Something else worth considering ... someone was telling me recently that freeview boxes can sometimes tune themselves into weak signals from other transmitters, which can cause reception problems, and I guess could explain your problem with heavy rain.

I think that I have had this problem with one of my boxes. When the regional BBC news came on one box showed news from the south but my other two boxes showed news from London. Searching though the channels I found that BBC London was actually on channel 325 on that box instead of channel 1.

Maybe try clearing all channels and retuning next time you see the poor reception, e.g. in heavy rain when the signal from other transmitters should be weaker. I've also heard that you can enter your postcode into some boxes, or there may be other ways of controlling which transmitter they tune into.

I seem to remember that with analogue TV you would often find snowy channels while tuning, especially on old TV's with manual tuning, but you would just carry on going until you found a strong signal. I guess that the box could auto tune into one of those weak signals and being digital show a perfect picture most of the time.

"Hello Tuttle",

Thanks for your message / suggestions.

I think that the TV Signal that I receive from the Crystal Palace Transmitter is the ONLY Signal that the Freeview Boxes / TV`s can receive where I live.

I believe that it is so `Strong` that it would not allow any other Signal / Transmission to be received where I live in South London - and I have never experienced any other Area`s TV Signal / Channels being received here.

Regarding Retuning the Freeview Boxes / TV`s when there is Heavy Rainfall - I was doing that regularly during the period from the Second Day of the Digital Switchover onwards [during Heavy Rain] for 2 or 3 Weeks.

The start point of these problems was definitely the Second Day of the Digital Switchover - Whatever Upgrades / Processes occurred on that Day [?] - I had Excellent Freeview TV Reception for YEARS before that Day / Date.

Thanks again for your interest and suggestions - I really appreciate your involvement and Help with this.

Regards,

Chris

Not sure what value your attenuator goes up to, but it may not be enough!
To see if it's doing anything look at the signal strength bargraph on the receiver - if it doesn't drop below maximum with the attenuator on max attenuation then either the attenuator isn't working, or it's not large enough (plug two in line one after the other and try again.

Oh, and gthe other thing that can cause problems in high signal areas is poor quality cable, either the aerial downlead/house wiring cable that isn't foil shielded (cheap stuff usually from electrical wholesalers), or the fly lead from the wall socket to the receiver. If it's one of those thin white ones then try changing it for a good quality foil screened one.

Either of these cable routes can pick up signals directly, that then interfere with the 'original' signal from the aerial.

(in all of this I assume the problem you are referring to is 'blocking'/'pixelating' of the picture on screen, rather than some other form of interference?)

Reply to MY TV`s FREEVIEW CHANNELS HAVE WORSE PICTURE QUALITY AFTER SWITCHOVER ! in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net