Discuss Name your tune... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Trev you getting me all shook up man,whos Elvis Costello,Presley had more charisma (is that how you spell it)in his little finger than Costello had in his whole body hehe

Maybe Presley did have more charisma but in my world Costello has more talent.
If you look at it logically, Presley only made it because he was the first white rock n roller in what was then still a very racist society. There were black guys doing it earlier and better than him, Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Chuck Berry for three quick examples. I'm not saying that Presley was untalented because that would be a very foolish claim, he opened the door for many musicians 3 of which I've named and admittedly Presley is one of those artists who come along every ten years or so and change everything but there were people who deserved it more I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with some of what you are saying.Yes Elvis came along at the right time and did indeed open the doors for other artist,namely black dudes who were trapped in the Racist system.Incidently Carl Perkins was white.
Now im a big big 50s Rock n Roll fan,and yes your correct in saying the likes of Chuck Berry,Litle Richard,Big Bopper,Fats Dominoe,Jerry Lee to name but a few were talented and exiting to watch and listen to,but put Elvis along side any of these and there is something extra going on,i cant put my finger on it,but i guess its just he had the moves the looks the voice the whole package.And before he was an entertainer,guess what he was a Electrician.

I could have sworn Carl Perkins was what is now called mixed race but I could be wrong. I also thought EP was a truck driver.
What EP did was groundbreaking, I just thought there were people before him who deserved as much credit but didn't get it. It's like now, people bang on about Eddie Van Halen and how he came up with a new guitar style which inspired millions of young players when they got their break but Alan Holdsworth was doing what EVH did years before him. Be honest now, how many have heard of Alan Holdsworth?

Yeah thats right he was aTruck Driver for the Electric Light Company Tupelo,and somehow he started some apprenticeship,and the rest is history.Alan Holdsworth,never heard of him,i dont think its the guy who worked on the sales team at my last employment

I'm sure there's some Alan Holdsworth stuff on youtube mate. If you're into guitar players he's well worth checking out
If you're into guitar players take a look at this guy http://youtu.be/NeooHiX4oH0
I'm glad he's an ugly little dwarf because if he was a handsome lad he'd have everything, it's just wrong that anyone can play two guitars at once

Maybe Presley did have more charisma but in my world Costello has more talent.
If you look at it logically, Presley only made it because he was the first white rock n roller in what was then still a very racist society. There were black guys doing it earlier and better than him, Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Chuck Berry for three quick examples. I'm not saying that Presley was untalented because that would be a very foolish claim, he opened the door for many musicians 3 of which I've named and admittedly Presley is one of those artists who come along every ten years or so and change everything but there were people who deserved it more I'd say.

Yer what ...... Carl Perkins a BLACK man ???!!!!!

He certainly was not ..... at least he wasn't when I met him !!!

He came over here with Bo Diddley in 1970 something to play - among other venues - Newcastle City Hall & after that gig some of us took him to the Elysium Lane club in the Bensham area of Gateshead, which at that time was home to the North East Rock 'n' Roll Society.

For a long time afterwards, his photograph was hung on the wall behind the bar.

The club has since been destroyed by fire and so has the photo (probably)

Perkins wrote the song "Blue Suede Shoes" on the back of a flour bag when he was attending a dance & spotted a young black kid who was wearing a pair of blue suede shoes. The kid was apparently nervous about his shoes being stepped on by other dancers & this gave Perkins the inspiration for the song.

Perkins went on to record the song, but before he could do much in the way of touring to promote it, he fell ill & was off the road for a while & it was during this time that Presley recorded it & it became a hit for him.

That's the gist of it anyway, as my memory isn't quite what it was so it may not be word perfect.

If anyone is sufficiently interested, I'm sure Google with have something about him.

Reply to Name your tune... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net