Discuss New house wiring ideas in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Better than having 3 cables at the light, less time up a ladder, no extra hidden jbs and more chance of cable fitting in the light fitting too.
personally i'd rather loop in at lights than have loads of cables running down wall to switches, can't see the difficulty of working off steps.

Safety mostly, over stairs comes to mind as does needing 4 hands

I prefer at switch but will go to light if I have to...or use a wiring centre, that can be a life saver
we usually go higher than this, our steps extend to over 6m up (tripple extender)

:
Zarges-Industrial.jpg

your arse gets twitchy when your near the top and it starts to sway

Better than having 3 cables at the light, less time up a ladder, no extra hidden jbs and more chance of cable fitting in the light fitting too.

Yeah, ok whatever you say!! If only it was only just 3 cables at the switch position...

Safety aspects in a domestic, .....do me a favour!! More fool anyone that positions a light fitting on a ceiling directly over a stairwell, typically they will be positioned on the top landing...

Yeah, ok whatever you say!! If only it was only just 3 cables at the switch position...

Safety aspects in a domestic, .....do me a favour!! More fool anyone that positions a light fitting on a ceiling directly over a stairwell, typically they will be positioned on the top landing...
Who said anything about domestic? After that there are high ceilings, stairwell lights and general poor placing...fall from a small height is still enough to cause injury and damage

And cant see why 3x1mm cables in a 1g box is any worse than 3x2.5mm in a 1g box for a spur either

If the OP goes with my suggestion of wiring up the bedrooms on their own circuit (post 14) would it be wrong to put a 6A breaker on the circuit? Working on the principle that no one should use more than 6A in their bedroom...... May have to rethink this figure for the girls and thier hair stuff....

Twin and earths in and out of light switches, pendants?
We are 15 years into the 21st century!
Leds Controlled via DALI switches and drivers is the way forward!
Also why not have the Central Heating, entertainment system, etc controlled by smart technology

ours are a diy set that overhang front and back of a transit and sway a good meter side to side at the top and they will collapse on themselfs as there old and starting to show there age

This post will ensure your customers' barrister has an easy 20 minute show,at their compensation hearing...:joker::joker:

ours are a diy set that overhang front and back of a transit and sway a good meter side to side at the top and they will collapse on themselfs as there old and starting to show there age

So you have been provided with access equipment which is in a poor state of repair and unfit for continued service? Have you formally reported this to the necessary people?

Who said anything about domestic? After that there are high ceilings, stairwell lights and general poor placing...fall from a small height is still enough to cause injury and damage

And cant see why 3x1mm cables in a 1g box is any worse than 3x2.5mm in a 1g box for a spur either

3 cables will be the minimum, and their aren't any connectors in a socket back box with a spur!! It's starts getting to the point of ridiculous when you need to accommodate several switch lines and their chases/capping etc, for multi gang switches and/or 2 way and intermediates.....

If you need a neutral at a switch position for any reason or just to future proof then just run a 3 core + E to the switches, but switch looping, ...Nah!!!

All this cobblers about needing 4 hands to connect a 3 plate system at a ceiling point just doesn't wash, electricians have been making such connections in their stride for donkey's years without any help whatsoever!!

As i say, if you're daft enough to install or retain a light point at the highest point over a stairwell in a domestic (and this thread ''IS'' about a domestic installation) then more fool you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Twin and earths in and out of light switches, pendants?
We are 15 years into the 21st century!
Leds Controlled via DALI switches and drivers is the way forward!
Also why not have the Central Heating, entertainment system, etc controlled by smart technology

And what fraction of rewire work that you do, or more importantly others will do, will contain any of that smart technology?? Most rewire work will be basic rewires with additional lighting and power points. Your smart technology is still far too expensive for the average punter, and frankly not as reliable as it should be either, especially for the overall costs of these systems....

And what fraction of rewire work that you do, or more importantly others will do, will contain any of that smart technology?? Most rewire work will be basic rewires with additional lighting and power points. Your smart technology is still far too expensive for the average punter, and frankly not as reliable as it should be either, especially for the overall costs of these systems....

The guy asked for some ideas for his own home..
what better opportunity to try out new technology.
done right it is the best way to do things

The guy asked for some ideas for his own home..
what better opportunity to try out new technology.
done right it is the best way to do things

Yeah, and then can be totally stuffed when the system or systems go belly up a couple of years or so down the road, and then can't get replacements because the companies gone into liquidation!! lol!!

Its been the standard for quite a few years especially in the prestigious houses but obviously not in the Middle East lol
dont be scared of new technology..

Reply to New house wiring ideas in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net