Discuss New insall in workshop and CU change in house advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The reason you are going for a High Integrity CU, is that you have an unprotected way (MCB) at the house CU. Otherwise you're not going to have any discrimination between the RCD device in the workshop CU and the RCD in the house CU!!! The SWA sub-main does not require RCD protection.....

Noted...
im gonna shoot down the wholesalers in a min to have a look at their boards anyway as theres no exploded views on any of the web pages.
I was always going for an unprotected mcb, just had the wrong type of cu in my first list

Noted...
im gonna shoot down the wholesalers in a min to have a look at their boards anyway as theres no exploded views on any of the web pages.
I was always going for an unprotected mcb, just had the wrong type of cu in my first list

Just so long as you ''Don't'' replace the unprotected MCB with a RCBO!! lol!!

Fitted out the shed today, came across a small problem "I think"?
i have bought the WYNH506, 5 Way Metal Consumer Unit - 100 Amp Switch from TLC and need to know if I can put the 40amp RCD in it? I will need to cut the bar down to size and obviously wire it up to suit, it's only that, all the pictures and boards I have seen that have RCD in have more than the one neutral bar. Can instill fit the RCD in or do I need to swallow the cost and start again with the install with a new board???
it will be a pain as I have already installed all the conduit, sockets and lights.
Just as you think you've had a good day too lol.

Fitted out the shed today, came across a small problem "I think"?
i have bought the WYNH506, 5 Way Metal Consumer Unit - 100 Amp Switch from TLC and need to know if I can put the 40amp RCD in it? I will need to cut the bar down to size and obviously wire it up to suit, it's only that, all the pictures and boards I have seen that have RCD in have more than the one neutral bar. Can instill fit the RCD in or do I need to swallow the cost and start again with the install with a new board???
it will be a pain as I have already installed all the conduit, sockets and lights.
Just as you think you've had a good day too lol.

Why didn't you consider the RCD before you bought the CU? What is at the other end of the supply to the shed?

I listed what I was putting in at the start of the thread and changed the house CU accordingly but didn't get any feedback about the 5 way board so thought it was ok. Learning about the boards is all trial and error and comes with experience as they don't tell you anything at all on any of the courses.
It all fits in the board (main switch, rcd, 2 20'sand a 6) it's just wether or not it can be wired up or not?

I listed what I was putting in at the start of the thread and changed the house CU accordingly but didn't get any feedback about the 5 way board so thought it was ok. Learning about the boards is all trial and error and comes with experience as they don't tell you anything at all on any of the courses.
It all fits in the board (main switch, rcd, 2 20'sand a 6) it's just wether or not it can be wired up or not?

So the house board has a single RCD?

So what's everyone got against metal consumer units? Different situations requires different solutions. An insulated board may or may not be preferable, it just depends on the circumstances.

So what's everyone got against metal consumer units? Different situations requires different solutions. An insulated board may or may not be preferable, it just depends on the circumstances.

I don't think everyone is against metal consumer units. Someone just asked why he was going for a metal one I think. Daz

Reply to New insall in workshop and CU change in house advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net