Discuss New Kitchen Install - Loose Pattress Left Under Sink/DW in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Ally McLeod

Grateful for some expert advice with reference to relevant wiring regs if possible. The company who installed my kitchen has taken a spur (non-fused) and wired it into a double metal pattress box for dishwasher connection. The box is lying loose on the floor immediately under the sink/DW area. They're insisting it meets regs but I can't see how this can. I would have thought at a minimum there should be a way of isolating the appliance easily with having to grab hold of the pattress box to unplug the DW.

At the very least it should be fixed to something.

When you say "metal pattress" do you mean a a knock out box - i.e. one that should be buried in the wall, or is it a proper metalclad accessory box?

The question of isolators crops up on here from time to time. Most people do install them, but a few argue that you can isolate the circuit to occasionly remove an appliance.

Probably need to ask Kevin the Kitchen fitter what regulation he is referring to when he says it conforms to the regulations, load of old tosh of course it doesn't meet the Regs, not got my regs book handy and its early on a Sunday, but common sense prevails, and bvelieve me I have ha first hand experience of Kevin in my own house, bodgers the lot of em.

ImpededLoop - yes it's a knock box I think. Looks like it's supposed to be buried in a wall. I'll try and post a photograph...
/Users/samanthamcleod/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2013/12/08/20131208-123245/dVmka7TjQiG9lscOqACQMg/thumb_IMG_0966_1024.jpg

/Users/samanthamcleod/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2013/12/08/20131208-123245/dVmka7TjQiG9lscOqACQMg/thumb_IMG_0966_1024.jpg

Struggling to post a photo but it's definitely a knock-out box (apologies for referring to it as mattress box) with a double white socket fitted to the front.

Murdoch - yes; it's concealed behind the kick board and there's no isolator above the worktop. When I complained he basically said he would fit the socket to the inside of the under-sink cupboard - which I guess would be ok as it would allow me to isolate/disconnect the machine if needed. He royally pi**ed me off when he stated that he didn't know why I was making such a big deal about it, and that it was only a 5-minute job to fix.....

I get these all the time, normally plastic surface backbox and double socket. I normally tell my customer I can fit it in side the unit and make it secure,and add a little peice of trunking to tidy up the cables inside to the back box. 15/20 min job

But of course I do get lots of customers saying I dont want holes drilled and a socket in my cupboard. so I leave them too it.....

But this scenario has been much chatted about on these forums, which are searchable also :)

I would imagine that the following regs have been contravened

• 522.8.5 (inadequate strain relief on terminations)
  • 134.1.1 (Good workmanship must be used and manufacturer's instructions taken into account)

I'm also sure there is something about secure fixing of enclosures or accessories but I can't find it right now.

Make sure you get an electrical installation certificate from him and if it's a new circuit, you'll also need him to do a Part P building regulations notification as well.

Strikes me that the Sparky was on a fixed price job and needed to cut corners.

All sockets & switches need to be accessible (and accessible isn't behind a kick board - IMHO)

He sounds a right muppet.

Did he give you any certs for the work he did?

If the socket is wired in twin and earth (the flat grey cable) then this is not suitable for a mobile accessory as twin and earth is not flexible and can be damaged by movement. Even with a plastic patress box they should be fixed in place
The metal kncokout box is inappropriately installed as they are not designed for open installation and the knockouts can be, well, knocked out, leaving the socket in a dangerous condition.
You could just about get away with wiring a double trailing socket to a piece of flex, but that is about it for loose sockets.

@ Ally. if you post your location, one of use might be close and could pop in to confirm what the others have said.

Reply to New Kitchen Install - Loose Pattress Left Under Sink/DW in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net