Discuss New socket problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Michael Walker

Hi there,

I think this should be in the DIY section, but, it seems to be locked. I am no electrician.

I want to convert a large cupboard into a computer room, on the opposite of one wall is a light switch. the plan was to split the connection so one continues to go to the switch and another leading to the socket.

After safely connecting everything and turning on the power, I found the socket only had power if the light switch was off?

Is there something I have done wrong?

Any help would be great

Thanks

yes you have. you can't feed a socket from a light switch. time to employ an electrician.

shame, i;m going to bed in a min.

Gobsmacked.

Try plugging a kettle into your new socket and see if it causes the light in the other room to light up. Then have a little think about what you've done.

By the sounds of things the way you've wired it is so the light is in series with anything you plug into your socket. It's an understandable mistake for someone who's not familiar with circuit layouts.

Several issues immediately spring to mind, firstly you've tried to wire a socket onto a light circuit which is a no-no. Secondly any equipment you plug into your new socket is likely to get damaged because your socket is mis-wired.

My best advice is to isolate all power first at the CU then remove all your new wiring immediately before there's costly collateral damage. Then rather get an experienced electrician in to reinstall safely.

classic mistake of using the red and black instead of the red and green stripey wire.

at least the thread is now in the destroy it yourself forum.

classic mistake of using the red and black instead of the red and green stripey wire.
As this is in the DIY forum I'll point out that Tel is making a joke. Don't use the earth instead of a neutral.

Deffo not Glenn....hes on the other end of the phone to me.....This has to be the best post in diy for years....!!!

Reply to New socket problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net