Discuss No enclosure in feeder pillar in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

after some advice on this, had a job to look at which involved replacing some ev chargers that were already there, the current set up is they go back to a feeder pillar, the chargers connect into rcds all the current protection is in place however the rcds/Mcbs are clipped onto din rails with no enclosure?
I don’t think this is right but the regs state that if is behind a lockable door then it complies?
Can anyone help?

Hi

after some advice on this, had a job to look at which involved replacing some ev chargers that were already there, the current set up is they go back to a feeder pillar, the chargers connect into rcds all the current protection is in place however the rcds/Mcbs are clipped onto din rails with no enclosure?
I don’t think this is right but the regs state that if is behind a lockable door then it complies?
Can anyone help?
Is the "feeder pillar" not locked then? and who keeps the FP keys the AP?

The feeder pillar is kept locked and the on site maintenance team have the key to access it only!
The it's in an Enclosure then isn't it? trying to make something out of nothing in my opinion.

BS7671:
Enclosure... A part providing protection of equipment against certain external influences and in any direction providing basic protection.
Basic Protection... Protection against electric shock under fault-free conditions. (For LV installations, systems and equipment, basic protection generally corresponds to protection against direct contact, that is "contact of persons or livestock with live parts.)

BS7671:
Enclosure... A part providing protection of equipment against certain external influences and in any direction providing basic protection.
Basic Protection... Protection against electric shock under fault-free conditions. (For LV installations, systems and equipment, basic protection generally corresponds to protection against direct contact, that is "contact of persons or livestock with live parts.)
In this case the feeder Pillar (The enclosure) is providing all the things mentioned in your post

9enclosure)
BS7671:

This possibly falls under Section 714. See Regulation 714.411.2.201 whereby there is a requirement for basic protection behind the primary enclosure whether locked or not. This degree of protection shall be IPXXB or IP2X by construction or br installation, or by installing a barrier or an enclosure giving the same degree of protection. If so then you are correct.

This possibly falls under Section 714. See Regulation 714.411.2.201 whereby there is a requirement for basic protection behind the primary enclosure whether locked or not. This degree of protection shall be IPXXB or IP2X by construction or br installation, or by installing a barrier or an enclosure giving the same degree of protection. If so then you are correct.

I think I need to read this section then!

@21Craig is the enclosure GRP from pic? The main RCD unit is in a separate inclosure, I get what Westward is saying totally but I can’t help but reference this to an IP weatherproof C/U, when cover is on any potential exposed live parts ie MCB RCBO terminal screws, neutral bars are enclosed and not accessible without use of keys or tools. In an ideal world then yes there could have been an inner enclosure to house the DP MCB’s the din rail connection terminals. I guess one thing you could do to make it safer for the maintenance guys who have access to it to turn on a tripped breaker but not work on it. Would be to install some Perspex over the whole inner area in question and cut it out so it fits over the MCB switches but covers all the exposed terminals. This would eliminate any possible accidental contact with exposed live parts. would need the use of a tool to access those parts by unscrewing M4 bolts for argument sake to remove Perspex cover. The only person that would need to do that would be yourself or another electrician.

It's title has been changed and is misleading but the first chapter states it includes street furniture which this feeder pillar may well be.
hi sorry just seen this, its EV charging equipment, this wouldnt be the same? my only problem is that if a night manager wanted to get in there theres no protection once that door is unlocked.

@21Craig is the enclosure GRP from pic? The main RCD unit is in a separate inclosure, I get what Westward is saying totally but I can’t help but reference this to an IP weatherproof C/U, when cover is on any potential exposed live parts ie MCB RCBO terminal screws, neutral bars are enclosed and not accessible without use of keys or tools. In an ideal world then yes there could have been an inner enclosure to house the DP MCB’s the din rail connection terminals. I guess one thing you could do to make it safer for the maintenance guys who have access to it to turn on a tripped breaker but not work on it. Would be to install some Perspex over the whole inner area in question and cut it out so it fits over the MCB switches but covers all the exposed terminals. This would eliminate any possible accidental contact with exposed live parts. would need the use of a tool to access those parts by unscrewing M4 bolts for argument sake to remove Perspex cover. The only person that would need to do that would be yourself or another electrician.
thats exactly what i think there should be some protection over the terminals, its for ev charging and if a night manager wanted to get in there then theres no basic protection, also the feeder pillar is not GRP, its steel!

Reply to No enclosure in feeder pillar in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net