Discuss Non-Harmonized cable in Enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry I missed the posting from Marvo before posting my last one.

Anybody disagree with the lock idea? I personally think a lock is more secure that the 4 bolts that hold the front on but I know what governing bodies are like!!!

All the gear is either UK Hager or Schneider Electric and purchased from UK wholesalers, so fully UK CE approved. The cabinets are IP40 and installed in a small plant rooms

The individual components being CE marked doesn't automatically make the completed unit CE marked!

God this is getting complicated!

The problem is that I have spoken to 3 local residential sparks, I spent over an hour trying to explain to the guy how a CBUS system work (control via a bus system, sending control signals to central distribution), he just did not get it, so he was off the list. The second said it was too complicated for him, he basically works on 17th edition 14 way boards and nothing else and the 3rd guy was an Aussie who was a nice chap but I did not believe he was a qualified spark and the pictures of his work was nothing to be proud of. Hopefully Welchyboy1 will still be up for a chat in 5 months time!

The problem is the system is residential but not a standard single board setup, more commercial but the commercial sparks would not touch a residential install (saying that I only tried one local company)

The individual components being CE marked doesn't automatically make the completed unit CE marked!
We'd only expect CE certification of the complete assembly if it was sold as a mass produced pre-assembled control panel. If we built a panel specifically for a job such as lighting control for a particular premises it would normally require type test certification.

It's not too different from a stage lighting installation, a box full of dimmers controlled from a remote location via some form of data signal.

In response to something you mentioned above, why do you want the electrician to run 1.5 T&E for the outgoings?

We'd only expect CE certification of the complete assembly if it was sold as a mass produced pre-assembled control panel. If we built a panel specifically for a job such as lighting control for a particular premises it would normally require type test certification.

Fair enough, as I said I don't know enough about the rules. But do know that any custom made distribution or control unit we buy in comes CE marked with a unique serial number.

I was about to say similar to Marvo^^

Dave sparks also alluded to this too, I would be more concerned fitting a panel that was not type tested/approved.

.....The problem is that I have spoken to 3 local residential sparks
You're speaking to the wrong people. I'm not saying there aren't any residential sparks that can't install and commission such a control panel but they'll certainly be few and far between. I'm not sure if Welchyboy has CBUS experience though, if he doesn't fancy the work I'd speak to someone like Rob or Robotstar5 if I were you although I'm not sure if they're anywhere near you.

God this is getting complicated!

The problem is that I have spoken to 3 local residential sparks, I spent over an hour trying to explain to the guy how a CBUS system work (control via a bus system, sending control signals to central distribution), he just did not get it, so he was off the list. The second said it was too complicated for him, he basically works on 17th edition 14 way boards and nothing else and the 3rd guy was an Aussie who was a nice chap but I did not believe he was a qualified spark and the pictures of his work was nothing to be proud of. Hopefully Welchyboy1 will still be up for a chat in 5 months time!

The problem is the system is residential but not a standard single board setup, more commercial but the commercial sparks would not touch a residential install (saying that I only tried one local company)

I'll do it, if the price is right and the equipment is compliant.

Reply to Non-Harmonized cable in Enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net