Discuss Non-Harmonized cable in Enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think the colour coding within a 'machine' type enclosure would come under a different BS number so the colours do not have to be in accordance with BS7671 as long as they are identified which you have achieved.

so I thought I would lace them in neatly instead, again is this a bad idea, should I re-do with trunking?

I personally wouldn't tie wrap together the neutrals and lives separately, particularly if you are running ac circuits due to electromagnetic inductive effects.

Otherwise, I wish all electricians produced cabinets as neat as yours......

I think the colour coding within a 'machine' type enclosure would come under a different BS number so the colours do not have to be in accordance with BS7671 as long as they are identified which you have achieved.

Exactly!, it has buggerall to do with the Niccy what colours are used inside the panel, so long as they are identifiable

Exactly!, it has buggerall to do with the Niccy what colours are used inside the panel, so long as they are identifiable

It has a lot to do with the regulations governing panel building, along with the type of cable, IP rating etc etc. Some of these regulations are law, although I don't personally know enough about them to advise on here about it.

From my point of view if I am asked to install something like this I will be looking for CE marking and a declaration of conformity before I fit it.

I often make panels without trunking, lacing and looming was part of my apprenticeship so I don't think trunking is necessary and I certainly wouldn't rewire it for trunking. I'm sure the exposed fuse holders are also fine if you put a shock hazard warning and a lock on the door.

Good luck finding someone to commission ;)

I never said trunking was necessary, just that it could have been neater with it. I completely agree it could also have been neater with lacing or cable ties.

It has a lot to do with the regulations governing panel building, along with the type of cable, IP rating etc etc. Some of these regulations are law, although I don't personally know enough about them to advise on here about it.

The IP ratings are almost (if not exactly) the same as BS7671, namely suitable for the intended environment, minimum IP 4X for the top surface and IP2X for the rest or higher depending on environment.

The colours can be anything except Green, and G/Y this latter only used for CPCs, so long as they are identifiable alpha-numerically.

Inside of the panel is governed by other standards than BS7671, this is also outside the scope of the Nic

I wasn't referring to anything you said Dave, the OP asked if he should rewire it for trunking.

Thank you all for the advice, I will un-clip the neutrals and lives and keep it tidy with in slotted trunking.

Regarding the fused din rail terminators, do you think a lock on the front door would be adequate or should I push the fuse holders back and cover the slot? When you open the fuse holder, you can see exposed metal which would be live but it is right at the back of the holder, you could not touch it with your finger, only with a screwdriver. The actual ones I used are:-

CN12775-40.jpg

Thank you all for the advice, I will un-clip the neutrals and lives and keep it tidy with in slotted trunking.

Regarding the fused din rail terminators, do you think a lock on the front door would be adequate or should I push the fuse holders back and cover the slot? When you open the fuse holder, you can see exposed metal which would be live but it is right at the back of the holder, you could not touch it with your finger, only with a screwdriver. The actual ones I used are:-

CN12775-40.jpg

If the front cover is lockable, or requires a tool to open, you should be fine, I would perhaps have a warning --- Volts label too, although not required in BS7671,most panels I have built do have this label.

Sorry I missed the posting from Marvo before posting my last one.

Anybody disagree with the lock idea? I personally think a lock is more secure that the 4 bolts that hold the front on but I know what governing bodies are like!!!

All the gear is either UK Hager or Schneider Electric and purchased from UK wholesalers, so fully UK CE approved. The cabinets are IP40 and installed in a small plant rooms

Reply to Non-Harmonized cable in Enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net