Discuss Opinions sought please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricAl

http://www.electriciansforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1432&stc=1&d=1276614122

Installation is in a large, period domestic dwelling. Property rewired 2007. The final ccts for the main house are supplied by the 16th Ed. split-load CU seen at the top of the pic, with Max demand for the main house reasonably assessed as not too far off the 100a mark.
The 3 phase supply was installed last year - it was suggested by the installer, in order to supply a dedicated sub-main to an annexed cottage. The cottage has it`s own D/B, with a 30mA RCCB incomer supplying B32`s for cooker & rfc, and B6 lighting circuits (x2). Extraneous-conductive (water service in metallic pipework) parts in evidence thru-out the cottage.

For clarity, the new dist.cct for the cottage has actually been supplied from the 30mA RCD protected side of the main board, running in 10mm T&E from a B50 to the 3 Henleys . As can be seen, its fed from there into 3 core 16mm XLPE which drops (with no further support) the 2m to the concrete floor.
It then terminates into an external 300x300x150 insulated enclosure on an external wall, and connects to an outgoing SWA (same 3c x 16mm) via Weidmuller type disconnect terminals. These DIN rail terminals are in free air within the box, held in position simply by the cores attached to them. No end plates are fitted.
Correct CW25 glands are fitted to each of the 2 SWAs at this box, but no banjo`s, and no other means to achieve continuity between the armour of each sheath. The entry hole for one has been drilled into the reinforcing ribs, so the galv backnut can`t be tightened flush.
Termination at the cottage`s CU is unclear. The supply 3c X16mm cores eventually re-appear close to the all insulated D/B, but the armour, inner & outer sheaths, are all hidden within the partition wall.

I`ll say nothing more at this stage, other than to invite your comments. At some point soon i`ll be in a better position to explain more fully.

Attachments

• What the.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
No pics Al
Sorry just popped up ,must be my slow connection.
If an electrician did that,I hope hes ashamed of himself.

Last edited:
3-phase metering-only 1 phase in use

sub-main not glanded supply side

sub-main taken from rcd side of main board-a major discrimination cock-up

are they converting to TT or exporting the earth to the cottage-afraid i'm only getting to grips with UK rules

Looks to me like an installation that has not been finished off and the armoured was temporarly terminated pending installation of the three phase

It's the only reason I can think of for only using one phase

Your logic is sound, but sadly, that wasn`t the timeline of the work. New header installed first (14 months ago) then the sub-main soon after.

Furthermore, i`d like to think decent sparks would be uncomfortable leaving this even overnight

The termination of the SWA is unacceptable and if the TNCS earth is exported to the cottage extraneous parts within the cottage must be bonded back to the MET at the intake....there is no evidence of that.

the SWA not having a gland is a NONO and using the black as neutral and grey as earth is "Bad practice" the it would be better to gland into a box and join inside

Defo looks like someone ran away with the money half way through the job. Looks like they just needed a temporary supply to the cottage to do some work and called it a day. Looking at the way the SWA has been "prepared" there is no way that was intended to be terminated properly. V poor IMHO :(. Any ideas what the other two blocks were destined for?

using the black as neutral and grey as earth is "Bad practice"

Can't agree with that. So long as they are corectly reidentified then there is no difference either way. That's just the NICEIC's opinion on the matter. There is no regulatory basis and I cannot see how it is any worse practice.

It looks to me like the original distribution board may have been adjascent to the supply head

A new consumer unit fitted (the swa now being too short to reach the new consumer unit position)
The installers or other, then adapting what was left to get a supply to the swa in some sort of fashion

A naughty temporary becoming a permenent and extra naughty danger and eysesore

Welcome back Al.

Thought you had gone AWOL.

I did

But the plumbing idea was flawed :eek:

Seriously tho, nice to be on here again with you lot of scally`s

As to starting this thread... Apologies for being rather mysterious, but i respect the opinion of many of you fellas and was hoping you`d offer a unbiased opinion as to the standard, or otherwise, of this install. When i`m able, i`ll share the reasons why this particular job is more insiduous than the all too common mess left by a cowboy.
Afraid the world weary way in which Lenny replied probably strikes a chord with many of us - " its only averagely cr4p, nothing outstanding"

Dont know if my comment came across the way I meant it too.:eek:

My thoughts were only that while the majority of us pay our fees and try our bloody hardest to do the job the way we all know it should be done, you'll always get the "bill form the pub" types who may very well have their own electrical companies with 20 vans but still dont give a rats hoop about the job they do.

Taking a bit of pride in what you do obviously isn't for everyone, but abiding by ol'red is to all.;):)

Reply to Opinions sought please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net