Discuss Phase to Earth fault on a 3 phase motor supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What did you check the voltage with? A high impedance multimeter, or a 2-3mA voltage tester?

One phase welded shut so energising all 3 at the same voltage via the motor windings?

My first priority would be to verify the MCB is isolating all 3 phases, or when open check with voltage tester (carefully, this is live and dangerous) between the L1-3 supplies and the L1-3 out to see if you get 0V (contacts presumably welded shut) or ~230V (leak to earth) or 400V (one other phase not open).

Then check if there are any auxiliary supplies for control, etc, that might have faulted and are energising it.

Possible that one phase is still live
what test equipment and procedure are you using?

What did you check the voltage with? A high impedance multimeter, or a 2-3mA voltage tester?

One phase welded shut so energising all 3 at the same voltage via the motor windings?

My first priority would be to verify the MCB is isolating all 3 phases, or when open check with voltage tester (carefully, this is live and dangerous) between the L1-3 supplies and the L1-3 out to see if you get 0V (contacts presumably welded shut) or ~230V (leak to earth) or 400V (one other phase not open).

Then check if there are any auxiliary supplies for control, etc, that might have faulted and are energising it.
I just tested with my Fluke Tester, not a multimeter. It was the same reading when the breaker was on, have not disconnected and taken out and changed the breaker yet.

What was the reason for being at the motor initially and testing?
I am doing some work at a block of flats, and was told the air extract was not working in the bathrooms. I checked the fan on the roof and it was not working. With the breaker on I was getting nothing between phases and 230 volts from each phase to earth, this was the same with the breaker off. I just used my Fluke tester, not a multimeter.

You need to do some systematic testing and work through the circuit. First check the output from the breaker and move on from there I would have thought there is some kind of overload relay at some point and if this has tripped you need to know why.

Just work your way through the circuit and it will show itself you often find there is more to the circuit than you think, I would have thought there is an overload relay somewhere for motor protection.

Reply to Phase to Earth fault on a 3 phase motor supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net