Discuss Plastic doors and exit sensors for burglar alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know of a way to fix a magnetic alarm contact to a plastic door which has a curved beading shape where the magnetic contact would normally be fitted to the exit door.

Thanks,

T

How bad is the beading?
A few pics might help us figure something out.

A 3D printed curved block?
Silicon (done neatly)?

I'm sure other people will have other ideas but that's all I can think of at the minute.

A 3D printed curved block?
Silicon (done neatly)?

I'm sure other people will have other ideas but that's all I can think of at the minute.

I was thinking along the same lines, but wanted to know how far the beadings stick out.
The OP will most prob need a spacer for the magnet on the door as well.
Depending on how far the beadings stick out, the magnet may look ugly as sin, with a big spacer...
We will see what the OP comes back with.

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure how to post a picture of the door on this forum. I can't see the option.

I guess some of you will have plastic doors and they will likely have the same shape quadrant profile.

Agreed it's not going to look pretty with surface contacts. Easy with wooden doors, just sink the contacts into the door and frame.

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure how to post a picture of the door on this forum. I can't see the option.

I guess some of you will have plastic doors and they will likely have the same shape quadrant profile.

Agreed it's not going to look pretty with surface contacts. Easy with wooden doors, just sink the contacts into the door and frame.

To be honest I don't have an alarm contact on my door - I've got a PIR that is positioned to trigger as soon as anyone sets foot in the door.

Not all plastic doors have the beading round them but looks like yours does.
Not knowing the construction of the beading its hard to suggest stuff, like dremmeling a portion of the beading away, for your door contact. You will still have to get the wire away as well.
How far does the beading stick out on your door. Usually the beading closest to the door is the most shallow.

It might be worth ruling out a flush mounted contact within the frame too,
1698237778767.png

It might be worth ruling out a flush mounted contact within the frame too,
View attachment 111227

This might be good for the frame (depending on the type of frame) but you would have to drill a hole in the plastic door for the magnet part.
These are good for wooden doors and frames but I've not seen them used on plastic doors/frames. Not saying they are not suitable.. just that my knowledge of them being used in this situation is limited.

I am not sure if there is any metal reinforcing in the door which could present a problem in drilling it to take the magnet. The door is the final exit door and needs a contact to allow the setting of the alarm.

Thanks for all replies.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the alarm just require a Normally Closed signal from a device, like a magnet, for the exit?
It's been a bit since I messed with alarms.
If the above it true then you could use the setup that @DPG has mentioned above and use the NC contact of a PIR.

Reply to Plastic doors and exit sensors for burglar alarms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net