Discuss Please HELP!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KWHElectrical

Hi guys, just started here as well as on the field. I worked mainly as commercial 1st fixing throughout my whole aprentiship and 2nd fixing but did not have any experience within the consumer units nor how to test. I now have experience within the domestic housing but not enough and therefor on here.

This is my first EVER POST PLEASE go light! I am so stuck its un-true. Maybe I’m over thinking things but I have a job coming up that I’m pretty nauseous about.

So the customer (a friend of family) asked me to give them a simple quote. (As to which I have) They had a quote before and I have looked at it and found that I can do the job £400 cheaper and that’s still given me enough profit. They are happy and want me to proceed.

The only problem is I don’t know what the hell this sparks is quoting them for?!?!

I am not NICEIC registered but I do have my Part P and REALLY need the money.

So this sparks has quoted them this:

· to wire and install 1 new 60amp single phase switch fuse disconnector to be
located within the property for isolation of the consume unit as per site
requirements. Consumer unit is more than 3m from the main service head.

· To disconnect and remove existing standard consumer unit from within the
property and replace with 1No new 12way, dual RCD protected 17thEdition
current regulation consumer unit to existing location along with the necessary
circuit breakers to provide overload/ disconnection protection. Standard circuit
breakers are designed to trip out in 5s where as RCD circuits are designed to
disconnect in 0.4s.

· attend and install cable clips to secure the main earthing cable in the
basement for the gas and water.

· attend and install cable clips to secure the mineral insulated cable in the
basement. Cable currently hanging down in various places.

· To replace the broken lamp holder in the loft.

· supply and install the necessary protective cross bonding earthing to the
piping in the top floor immersion heater cupboard.
· To safely isolate and label circuit number 3 is not in use

· To safely isolate and label circuit number 3 is not in use

· To supply continuity on the kitchen lighting earth.

· Supply earth terminal on the chandelier in the main bedroom and ground floor.

· To supply and install fire protection hoods to be installed above the
existing kitchen lighting as per site requirements. Fire protection hoods are
placed above the existing down lights and will stop the spread of fire in the event
of a serious fault taking place.

· To re-wire basement light into new control panel

· To supply and install fire alarm fittings (these will run off the lighting circuits)
1x Heat, 2x Smoke & Fire sensors.

OK SO MY PROBLEM IS, where is this guy saying he wants the 60A disconnector AND why only 60A not 100A? Does he want this in a separate unit that is before the consumer unit? If so what rating should be in the consumer unit as the main isolator switch???

2ndly, does the installation HAVE to be signed off by an NICEIC registered person? If so how much will this cost? AND if not can I do it as I do have a MEGGER mulitmeter tester Inc. RCD measure, as well as the required paper work.

Guys I may need some help planning this simple installation but it is for an insurance Job so I want to be as precise as possible.

Please help.

Thanks Guys

Point 1: There is no such thing as 3rd party sign off.
Point 2: The NICEIC don't make the rules.
Point 3: For the fuseboard change LABC notification IS required. That could be £250.00
Point 4: Do you think you are competent
Point 5: Do you have PL ins?

3rd party sign off? what do you mean by that?

I know the NICEIC doesnt make the rules, but that is what the insurance specified.

how do i get a LABC notification? sorry for sounding so stupid, but like i said, just starting.

and just to clarify, BECAUSE i have my PART P, am i legaly alowed to sign off my own works?

thanks, karl

Im defo Compitant, for this job. its just the :

· to wire and install 1 new 60amp single phase switch fuse disconnector to be
located within the property for isolation of the consume unit as per site
requirements. Consumer unit is more than 3m from the main service head.

bit that im unsure about? why 60A not 100A? or even 80A?

forgot to mention, bit dyslexic also :/

3rd party sign off? what do you mean by that?

I know the NICEIC doesnt make the rules, but that is what the insurance specified.

how do i get a LABC notification? sorry for sounding so stupid, but like i said, just starting.

and just to clarify, BECAUSE i have my PART P, am i legaly alowed to sign off my own works?

thanks, karl

yes you can sign certs BUT NOT comply with LABC. Surely you know this?? I've just read your other post!

Oh my goodness, you have no idea how the notification system works, I am not sure you know what you should be doing re certification, and certainly don't sound competent.

Might be worth leaving this job.

Reply to Please HELP!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net