Discuss Please review my electrician's work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

to be fair the electrician is NICEIC certified and came highly recommended from the builder, who himself had several good reviews on mybuilder.com.

but yes, consider my lesson learnt.

That is a terrible electrical instal and so is the rest of it. You have been had and unfortunately trying to scrimp on paying the proper rates has left you with this. Did you even ask the "spark" for any sort of prove of competency probably not as you where paying peanuts.

Learn a lesson from this and get qualified tradesmen to do the work not just the first :cowboy: to offer a cheap rate.

mybuilder.com.......oh dear. And NICEIC registered. You need to get onto NIC and get them round to have a look. Thats if he really is which personally I doubt, but then again nothing surprises me these days with the state of this trade.

I haven't paid anything yet. Do you think it would be fair to just ask him to quit and call it even? He only spent 2 days work on it, and a roll of cable. Is zero payment fair?

It's not even worth £360.

Was there a contract drawen up for any of this work? You as the client can state at the contract stage that electrical work has to be carried out by a member of a professional scheme.

to be fair the electrician is NICEIC certified and came highly recommended from the builder, who himself had several good reviews on mybuilder.com.

but yes, consider my lesson learnt.
I'm niceic and now thoroughly embarrassed that they would let this monkey join. Does prove that as long as you pay your good to go.
you can phone niceic up and ask for one of they inspectors to come out, it's worth a go cos if its part p there's an insurance issue.
but good luck with them I think you will have to persevere

there was a contract drawn up with fairly detailed specifications and pricing. I was given a copy of his NICEIC membership certificate.

thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it.

Report the contractor to he NICEIC and demand they send out an assessor. This will be free of charge. If the company is NICEIC registered then they should take action.

Out of interest, is this a flat that you are waiting to live in or is it a project to rent out, if the latter then you have time in your side and from your previous posts it would seem that you had a specific placement plan, which suggests that you like a job well done. So if it was me, I would contact the Niceic and insist on an inspector being present when you have arranged for the electrician to visit, have the inspector in one room whilst you conduct a meeting with the electrician, so that the conversation can be overheard. Then introduce the electrician to the inspector and insist that a written agreement to rectify the installation to both your requirements and the regulations is drawn up with all three signatures on. This way you are getting a commitment from the Niceic to ensure this is put right at no extra expense to yourself. Agree payment upon satisfactory completion with further first and second fix inspections by the inspector. If this fails then a letter to the head of the DCLG to report the unsatisfactory workmanship of part p.

just up the road from here is chester zoo. they've got monkeys that could do a better job. at least you hold the ace in the hole , inasmuch as you've not paid him yet. give him the chance to rectify the work, and if he walks, then get a decent sparks in th put it right.

It looks like the sort of perverse thing I’d do.

A mock up total bodge job. Then sit back laughing at the reaction of other tradesmen!
I did work for a major multinational as an approved trainer. Later I taught the trainers. Sabotage? It’s a training exercise!

The OP has shown a skill to be admired in total ineptitude. It can’t be by accident.

Reply to Please review my electrician's work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net