Discuss Porcelain tile trouble in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

GPack

-
Reaction score
Hello. I have received a request to put a shaver socket in a bathroom, bang in the middle of a porcelain tile. Does anyone have any experience on the best tool, method to use? I have cut plenty of holes in normal tiles for socket outlets using a dremmel quite easily but it doesn't touch the sides of the porcelian. Really appreciate the help.

The Bosch Multi Construction TCT Drill bits are goodfor drilling tiles, I have used them before for doing what you say by chain drilling around the edge then gently joining the holes, time consuming but does keep the dust to a minimum .
A 4 inch grinder will be quicker and give a neater cut if the dust is not a problem.

You may be able to use those spear headed tile/glass drill bits and stitch drill round the edges, then use an old (but not too blunt) wood chisel to break out the centre. You may even be able to use your ordinary masonary bits depending how hard the tiles are. A little trick with the masonary bit is to try it with the drill in reverse! The back edges of the wedge tip will have very little wear due to constantly being used clockwise, but as a tile relies on cutting action, it may be just sharp enough in reverse to get you out of trouble a few times.

If true porcelain tiles, then you will need a diamond drill (£10 ish) for drilling holes in each corner, then a diamond grinding disc (again, only £10ish) to cut the slots. If you are careful, it is quite easy to get a good straight finished cut out. In the internal corners, you may need a little persuasion with a gentle tapping to get the corners out, as the grinder cannot reach to the back edge of the tile.
Alan.

Get your self a set of diamond tipped core drills from 365drills.com. There superb!!!!

I am in no way linked to these just bought them and used them and will use nothing else now! well up to 40mm anyway!

Reply to Porcelain tile trouble in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net