Search the forum,

Discuss pricing pv jobs in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all.

Pricing question -
looked at a pv job today for a last minute customer.

House is a 4 storey georgian townhouse for a 4 kw installation. Inside just coming towards the end of major renovation - whole house. Consumer unit is in the basement. Array would have to be split over 3 aspects due to the small size of each pitch. very difficult cable run to loft. Cannot be mounted externally, the only route is probably about 75m going to and fro to follow access paths (walls are all finished).

I gave her a price and was told someone had come in a hell of alot cheaper, I was quoting with external aurora power one inverter and 16 hyundai 245watt panels.

Anyone willing to say roughly what they would have put in for this?

Electrically i would allow 2 days, roofing maybe 3/4 plus access (scaffold!)

i have, just trying to figure out if she is just trying to get me to drop my price, now she is offering to buy the gear online herself (found it for 5k including vat apparently, and they will supply to her) and pay us cash to install and certify!

And what happens if/when it goes wrong, do you go and put it right for nothing? What about all the testing kit you own, and all the other bits and bobs you use? How do you price that?
Also, I believe the rules have changed recently, so that one company has to follow the whole process from start to finish to comply to MCS (I could be wrong).
There are times when you need to walk away, and just wish them luck.

have walked away, just curious how someone can go that low on such a difficult job. its nearly as cheap as i did my dads for and i made nothing on that, i got no wages, only costs to him were the roofer,scaffold and the material. and his was straightforward!

have walked away, just curious how someone can go that low on such a difficult job. its nearly as cheap as i did my dads for and i made nothing on that, i got no wages, only costs to him were the roofer,scaffold and the material. and his was straightforward!

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]cause there salesman just sells at price list. doesn't discrimnate... the sales guy doesn't know it might need 70m 25mm swa, or two inverters... if the client is lucky the 'project manager' will highlight the job can't be done to his budget and return the deposit, if they are unlucky they'll get a cheap nasty install not to regs...

of course they could just be a really successful quality installer, which is so smooth, with so much volume that there precurement prices would make your eyes pop out..

[/FONT]

(found it for 5k including vat apparently, and they will supply to her) and pay us cash to install and certify!

A lot of PV suppliers do this. They don't understand the wholesaler/installer relationship and I simply will not use them.

Walk away. You wouldn't take a stack load of car parts and tell Ford to make you a car, would you?

Reply to pricing pv jobs in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net