Discuss RCBO for Memera 2000 is discontinued, is it ok to buy used one off eBay? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

koko88

DIY
Reaction score
I need to get hold of RCBO for old white plastic Memera 2000 consumer unit.

They are now discontinued for the Memera 2000, only used ones are available off eBay.

Is it ok and safe to buy an used RCBO off eBay to be fitted?

Probably the answer would be not okay. You will take a chance on its functioning correctly, & would you be asking an Electrician to install & test it as they would probably decline? Also, Memera 2000 has been around since 2009 , unlucky 13 years old.

Looking on YouTube, fitting RCBO looks quite straight forward if you have some good knowledge on electric & diy!
For safety reason, yes, electrician to fit RCBO but need to get hold of one.
One hour job including testing.
New pod for MCB is quoted at around £140 from various electrical suppliers!
EBay have used RCBO around £50 - £70, some from electrical sellers & tested?
I only need a single RCBO to replace an existing MCB

Last edited:
Definetly buy the new pod. I wouldn't fit parts off ebay especially an rcbo or any other safety device. Not worth the small saving.

Had a look on EBay for the pods and there’s a few brand new ones for £70 onwards, a lot cheaper than electrical suppliers online.
I’ve noticed some have just one neutral lead & others have two leads, neutral & earth?
Are both type compatible with MEM MCB?

Good luck with that. Wouldn't have my name on any certificate where any ebay parts or new whether they claim to be new or used. Doubt any manufacturer stands over eBay sales

I have use dEbay seconds as a last resort and sometimes you just have to go down the seconds route if the client doesn't want a whole new board

I have also sold over 500 used Rcbos , Rccbs , Elcbs , Rcds and Mcbs on Ebay so the market for seconds is very strong indeed so lots of sparks are clearly fitting them an alot of them

I have use dEbay seconds as a last resort and sometimes you just have to go down the seconds route if the client doesn't want a whole new board

I have also sold over 500 used Rcbos , Rccbs , Elcbs , Rcds and Mcbs on Ebay so the market for seconds is very strong indeed so lots of sparks are clearly fitting them an alot of them
Yet again, you get conflicting advice, Willrose electrical actually selling some used RCBO/pods on EBay.
Don’t really want to be forking out £140 onwards just for a single pod!

Do it as you see fit, I'm not telling you what to do, just that I would have no hesitation in refusing to fit it or put my name to it. Your spark may think otherwise.

Funny enough I've also sold quite a few old and obsolete breakers on ebay because I wont use them again there is a strong market for them.

I fitted a couple of those 'Eaton Field Kits'. They are expensive, but what price safety? Bear in mind they are quite tall, and a bit of a squeeze inside a Mem CU, especially if the installer has not been tidy with their cables.

Just looked and I can't believe old MEM Rcbos are selling for between £35-£80 on Fleabay

I need to have a rummage in my dads garage this week as he has some old MEM boards and I am sure there is some Rcbos in them

Electrician told me to either buy a new pod or get a RCBO off eBay as he reckons most RCBO have a very long life span, the chances of being faulty & etc is low (if it works, it works as the life span is 20,000 operation, most RCBO very unlikely to get there!)
The electrician would be able to test an used RCBO before fitting it.
There seem to be a market for used RCBO or pods on eBay so there most be many electrician or DIY enthusiasts out there’s still sourcing & using them!
I just want a second opinion on the matter

I've had square d rcbos fail on their first operation after sitting doing nothing for 10 years and bg rcbos fail out of the box so I don't believe that figure for a second. The market is so big because of people like yourself having boards that manufacturers have discontinued and no longer support, its a cheaper option than replacing the whole thing.

Reply to RCBO for Memera 2000 is discontinued, is it ok to buy used one off eBay? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net