Discuss rcbo or cu change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks

RCBO or C/U change that is the question!

On the 18th edition the lecturer in a conversation said if the C/U is not non combustible you cant make alterations i.e fit RCBOs for circuits; this ring true with anyone else?
Loads 16 and 17th edition boards nothing wrong with enclosure but also lights (class 1) not protected, feel i should be wearing a mask (pardon pun) advising its a full board change not a C3 fault.

thoughts welcome

I think the first question to ask of the Lecturer is provide a document that backs this up.
What they appear to be saying is no alterations or additions to a plastic C.U
So that would prevent like for like replacement of an MCB or even resetting an MCB or replacing a cable into an existing MCB / RCBO.
It might even mean once you switch off the C.U you can't turn it back on unless it's replaced.

In fairness I can see how they got to that conclusion, although it’s a very pedantic interpretation of the regs.

The argument in favour runs; Your work needs to comply with current regulations, so if you replace a light fitting with a set of downlights or add a new point to an existing lighting circuit in a dwelling then you need to provide RCD protection for that circuit. If the old board isn’t made of non-combustible material then that also needs changing because it doesn’t comply with the current regulations and you’re now making changes in the board itself.

@Strima hit it on the head though in the real world.

In fairness I can see how they got to that conclusion, although it’s a very pedantic interpretation of the regs.

The argument in favour runs; Your work needs to comply with current regulations, so if you replace a light fitting with a set of downlights or add a new point to an existing lighting circuit in a dwelling then you need to provide RCD protection for that circuit. If the old board isn’t made of non-combustible material then that also needs changing because it doesn’t comply with the current regulations and you’re now making changes in the board itself.

Quite, the difference between those of us who work in the real world, having to tell a customer that their new £30 light is going to cost £800 to fit(not going to happen), and those that are paid to pontificate to those wet behind the ears about their interpretation of a badly worded regulation.

so pedantic but I have not misunderstood as your reply confirms. thanks for the response. appreciate it

Quite, the difference between those of us who work in the real world, having to tell a customer that their new £30 light is going to cost £800 to fit(not going to happen), and those that are paid to pontificate to those wet behind the ears about their interpretation of a badly worded regulation.
I don't fit £30 lights or am i wet behind the ears lad.

Two regs come to mind:
Regulation 641.5: For an addition or alteration to an existing alteration, it shall be verified that the addition or alteration complies with regulations and does not impair the safety of the existing installation.

My take on that one is:
1) The addition must meet current regs, including RCD protection if required.
2) Afterwards, the installation should be as safe as it was before in EICR terms

Also 536.4.203 regarding compatibility of parts. Basically use the right manufacturer.

I've done this loads of times to add RCD protection to lighting circuits so I hope he's wrong!

Reply to rcbo or cu change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net