Discuss Replacing Landing Switch - need some help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes but if you have more than 2 switches controlling the same light or group of lights then only 2 of them can be 2 way, the rest will need to be intermediate, regardless of how many stories there are in your house.You could have a bungalow or single storey flat where the hall light is controlled by a switch by the front door, a switch by the lounge door and a switch by the bedroom door; one will be an intermediate.... Or if you were really lazy you could have your bedroom lights controlled by a switch by the door, and one on either side of the bed. Again, 3 switches, one of which is an intermediate.
It’s totally irrelevant to the OP. It was a basic two way switching set up, intermediates had nothing to do with the situation!

Yes but if you have more than 2 switches controlling the same light or group of lights then only 2 of them can be 2 way, the rest will need to be intermediate, regardless of how many stories there are in your house.

You could have a bungalow or single storey flat where the hall light is controlled by a switch by the front door, a switch by the lounge door and a switch by the bedroom door; one will be an intermediate.

... Or if you were really lazy you could have your bedroom lights controlled by a switch by the door, and one on either side of the bed. Again, 3 switches, one of which is an intermediate.

Adam, is that not what my post was trying to explain?, i=p/u didn't tell us he lived in a bungalow, so how was i supposed to know, i was merely trying to stop him further confusing this lady unnecessarily

High tower it's irrelevant if i=/pu or anyone else lives in a bungalow or a 3 storey house - an intermediate switch is used if there are more than 2 switches controlling the same group of lights. It could even be in the same room.

High tower it's irrelevant if i=/pu or anyone else lives in a bungalow or a 3 storey house - an intermediate switch is used if there are more than 2 switches controlling the same group of lights. It could even be in the same room.
But there wasn’t so why confuse mungo with a load of piffle? It happens all to often on here, what sets out as a basic question ends up on Mars! Look at the OP then answer the question!

This i know, i wire them up, day in day out, im well aware of how the work and where they should be used, if you read my posts i explained this to him, but as tony rightly points out and as i pointed out in the first place, the OP diddnt have one, diddnt need to have one, certainly diddnt need to be popping out to wicks to buy one.

I=P/U started telling us that he had one in his hall, i assumed that he, rightly or wrongly had a 3 storey house this is the normally when you get to see a inter in a domestic property. i dont really care if its a long hall, a long living room or a 3 storey house, its irrelevant to this post and the OP diddnt need to know about it.

Is this the bit where I say "I thought this was supposed to be an electrical discussion forum" and "contrary to Tony's post #19 someone always seems to end up getting shot down in flames"?

I agree that this thread seems to have gone off at a tangent from helping out someone who has a switching problem to a discussion about how big and what shape i=p/u's house is; I was just trying to clarify this bit:
You only need a intermediate if you have 3 floors or more
where the word 'floors' should read 'switches'.

Is this the bit where I say "I thought this was supposed to be an electrical discussion forum" and "contrary to Tony's post #19 someone always seems to end up getting shot down in flames"?

I agree that this thread seems to have gone off at a tangent from helping out someone who has a switching problem to a discussion about how big and what shape i=p/u's house is; I was just trying to clarify this bit:

where the word 'floors' should read 'switches'.

That my friend i must concede, it should have said switches.

Forgot to add, well done mungo AKA Josie. This has proved one thing about this board, you came and honesty said you’d got your self out of your depth and the guys rallied around. we get some who try to use BS to get help and get shot down in flames.

agree tony,honesty is the best policy,too many chancers passing themselves off as sparks,ive posted before that if you need help,just tell the truth,chancers are easily sussed,

just dont ever ask me to pass your tools, apprentice or not or youl end up wearing them like a magnet..... posts always go of on a 90 bend.... its aqll about opinion, and you guys sure have one which is good be chill out your day will come...

just dont ever ask me to pass your tools, apprentice or not or youl end up wearing them like a magnet..... posts always go of on a 90 bend.... its aqll about opinion, and you guys sure have one which is good be chill out your day will come...

ip,chippy now,i'll have pie and chips,with gravy and a bun,now run there and hurry back..:hammer:, oh and a diet coke:lips:

an intermediate switch is used if there are more than 2 switches controlling the same group of lights. It could even be in the same room.

or time delayed
icon7.png

how is black not white,i could argue black is white all night,and as for how long is a piece of string im ya man.

Also 1+1 does not equal 2
Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math

seriously could of cracked when dude kept asking me to hand him tools, instead of being organised.... pie chips no probs but your not getting your change

seriously could of cracked when dude kept asking me to hand him tools, instead of being organised.... pie chips no probs but your not getting your change

no problem..i only ever give a quid...and theres nothing wrong with handing tools to a spark,you get to know what tool does what job..we have all done it,call it training..

I think though that T&E has been used with the earth being marked as red. But I don't really have the test gear to test out my theory. Basically I'm hoping that the colours are what you would expect but I know that that's a stupid thing to do - this house was last wired about 40 years ago. I think my Dad got the wrong switch to be honest, but now I can't even get the original switch to work cos I wasn't here when he started mucking about with it.

I've told him to pay someone to sort it out.

For reference, I knew it was an old thread, but I thought that it was more appropriate than starting a new one, seems to be the case since I've had a number of answers that pretty much confirm what I thought in the first place.

Reply to Replacing Landing Switch - need some help please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net