Discuss ryobi battery angle drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI all
I have been drilling through some joists today with my ryobi one plus 18v angle drill the problem is the standard battery,s that i use do not tend to have much go them and if drilling 5 plus holes in the joists go flat quiteb quickly . I know ryobi is a basic set up but only working part time i can not justifie or invest in top brands at the mo.my question is if i buy a lion battery are they much better and last longer than standard ones and worth getting , also i am based nr colchester essex and if any one wants a hand on any domestic work in my area just pm me odd days helping 1st fix ect
,electrical work is not my main job i have been registerd but again due to the small amount of work i do it was just not viable R

cheers
Richard

Last edited:
I have the same angle drill and normal batteries. Make sure you are using top quality bits which are very sharp, and you will have no problems. The Lion batts are better as they dont slow, once flat they stop.

I can recommend Irwin spiral bits, and they easy to resharpen with a needle file

Cheers...........Howard

I had a full suite of Ryobi kit including the angle drill and Li-ion batteries. Yes, it will be a little better with a Li-ion battery.

I burned out the angle drill. And I had to replace both li-ion batteries.

Do yourself a favour and go buy Makita or Bosch. I sold all my Ryobi stuff on eBay and bought into Makita. Haven't looked back.

Try the new Armeg Wood Beaver bits. Superb. They pull out the other side way better than the Irwins (I've got sets of both) because of the way the threaded nose sits behind the tips.

Hi Richard,
The Ryobi R/A drill will be better on L-ion batteries, but you will need several battery packs because they get "hammered" drilling joists particularly when using inefficient spade bits in the larger sizes >1/2". I used to have one with 2x 2.4Ahr L-ion packs and 4x 1.7Ahr Ni-cad packs and even with all those batteries I found it to be the bare minimum.
The main deficiency with the Ryobi is it's relatively low torque output due to the low gear ratio of the gearbox, which put quite a strain on drive train.
You will need to balance the cost of several L-ion batteries and charger against the cost of a better battery or mains offering from the major manufacturers. After 2 year using the Ryobi I switched to a Dewalt 18V L-ion system and that can do all that the Ryobi and the 6 battery packs did on just one battery and with charge to spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
due to the fact that i only do the odd private jobs i am going to stick with the robie for now ,i have just orded some irwin flat spade cutters and i am going to try them i would like to get a mains angle drill but just had a look on ebay and they are a bit pricey for me at the mo

Richard

Hi Richard,
You may be able to get a right angle drill adaptor for an existing mains drill. I converted an old Bosch drill with a Bosch right angle attachment, the mains power was needed when faced with drilling 8" oak joists. I keep it set up like that permanently. I can't remember the cost but it was significantly cheaper than a new purpose built job.
Mine is a converted hammer drill but I believe Bosch also do an right angle attachment for SDS also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a chuck fitted on a mains 4" angle grinder. Wondered about the lack of a safety clutch and speed control though!

Hi i have a bosch sds so will look into the conversion to angle drill ,i like the idea of mains angle drills especialy when drilling through 2 joists joined together

I've got AEG 18v kit - and it's much under rated. No hesitation in recommending it whatsoever. Apparently it's made by Makita anyway. I've just been drilling hundreds of joists in a timber frame construction using it with Irwin blue-groove bi-metal (goes through nails) and it was no hassle whatsoever. Admittedly the big mains Bosch came out when we got to needing the 2' long spiral bits for the 8 joists pressed together!

Reply to ryobi battery angle drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net