Discuss Sealed tag on Digital meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a blue (coded) metal sealed tag on my lower end of AMPY digital meter. How can you tell if this is a official tag from electric suppliers installation.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks for replying.
My electric meter has been flashing 88888 and LED (usage)light flashing rapidly. Cannot get a reading. Ive turned all the main fuse boxes off for over an hour but still the meter is the same. Model is AMPY 5193A. I just googles all the possible problems and gives a list of scenario, very worried. Ive contact my suppliers informing about the meter display but they say it may take ages for engineer to investigate the meter (serve backlog)

Don't worry too much. Keep a good record of everything (including phone calls, letters and photos / video of the fault) and do not remove the seal. The last thing you want is to be blamed for tampering. They should be able to book someone in to check/replace the meter. Did they give you a date? If they won't help there is information on the Ofgem website about the next steps to take. Do not ignore the problem, even if your supplier tells you to, as when they do finally go to read the meter and see it is faulty, it can cause all sorts of issues and arguments over what the bill is, especially if the last reading was months ago. I've seen it happen before.

Don't worry too much. Keep a good record of everything (including phone calls, letters and photos / video of the fault) and do not remove the seal. The last thing you want is to be blamed for tampering. They should be able to book someone in to check/replace the meter. Did they give you a date? If they won't help there is information on the Ofgem website about the next steps to take. Do not ignore the problem, even if your supplier tells you to, as when they do finally go to read the meter and see it is faulty, it can cause all sorts of issues and arguments over what the bill is, especially if the last reading was months ago. I've seen it happen before.
Thanks for the advice. I do have a seal, its is blue (coded) metal one. How do suppliers tag their meters ?

Thanks for the advice. I do have a seal, its is blue (coded) metal one. How do suppliers tag their meters ?
It varies some suppliers use plastic or metal serialed ones and log the number. Around here they mostly use standard tubular ferrule seals and pliers that stamp the installers initials and code into it. My local DNO often use blank ones or ones with the DNO initials and just squash them on with side cutters. All depends what system (if any) was in place the last time someone worked on it, and whatever they had floating about in the van! I've seen about 7 different types used over the years. The problem with seals is they have a habit of falling off, often around the time of a consumer unit upgrade. It's rarely a problem unless abstraction or similar is suspected.

You have a seal of some type so I wouldn't worry at all.

It varies some suppliers use plastic or metal serialed ones and log the number. Around here they mostly use standard tubular ferrule seals and pliers that stamp the installers initials and code into it. My local DNO often use blank ones or ones with the DNO initials and just squash them on with side cutters. All depends what system (if any) was in place the last time someone worked on it, and whatever they had floating about in the van! I've seen about 7 different types used over the years. The problem with seals is they have a habit of falling off, often around the time of a consumer unit upgrade. It's rarely a problem unless abstraction or similar is suspected.

You have a seal of some type so I wouldn't worry at all.
Thankyou so much. I just worried. Really appreciate all ur advice

Reply to Sealed tag on Digital meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net