Discuss Should i do 2392 or 2391 testing and inspection? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the responses guys.

The 2392 is the initial verification only, and they say it's for those inexperienced with testing.

Really, how much more difficult is the periodic inspection? So much more difficult they apparently had to separate the two so people could pass.

Is this the reality of it? How much harder is periodic inspection than initial verification?
Potentially quite a bit. Any faults found during IV can generally be pinpointed quickly and with certainty, after all you'll know the exact cable runs, have a fairly good idea on external influences that could've caused your issue and thr like, however with EICRs youre effectively starting from scratch, with no idea on cable routes, installation methods, customer have-a-go handiwork and the like. You'll also likely see a snake orgy more often than not whereas with IV you're (hipefully) making the installation easier to navigate and neater.

While the 2 do share a lot of fundamentals in terms of testing, thry are drastically different from one another. One is verifying against a design (and if we're not then why not?) the other is ascertaining if the installation is fit for continued service (and checking against a design if possible)

2392 if I remember rightly teaches testing where 2391-50 is Periodic Inspection with some experience

Yes, seems to me the 2392 is just like a soft version of 2391 that you can do as preparation. On its own it doesn't hold much value.
You could break it up into 2391-50 Initial Verification then do 2391-51 Periodic later. But that's more work and more expense for the same result, so most people do 2391-52 combined course.
I'll let you know how I get on with it.
Please do mate it'd be an eye opener for me.

Potentially quite a bit. Any faults found during IV can generally be pinpointed quickly and with certainty, after all you'll know the exact cable runs, have a fairly good idea on external influences that could've caused your issue and thr like, however with EICRs youre effectively starting from scratch, with no idea on cable routes, installation methods, customer have-a-go handiwork and the like. You'll also likely see a snake orgy more often than not whereas with IV you're (hipefully) making the installation easier to navigate and neater.

While the 2 do share a lot of fundamentals in terms of testing, thry are drastically different from one another. One is verifying against a design (and if we're not then why not?) the other is ascertaining if the installation is fit for continued service (and checking against a design if possible)

2392 if I remember rightly teaches testing where 2391-50 is Periodic Inspection with some experience
Makes sense, thanks.

Do you have your 2391? If so how did you find it?

you'd be surprised how many go on the 2391 with no tester and/or zero experience

Which probably accounts for the high failure rate.

I think there was 9 on my course, and only 2 of us passed first time around.

Which probably accounts for the high failure rate.

I think there was 9 on my course, and only 2 of us passed first time around.
I would say it beggars belief but then the 2392 suffers from Short Course tarring (DI courses anyone?) and as such isn't that well received compared to the 2391 that almost everyone knows.

The main differences between the 2392 & 2391 is the 2392 is single phase only which is level 2 & the course itself you will be taught practical on how how to test. (This qualification is no longer recognised)

Where as the 2391 whether that's the 2391-50 or 2391-51 or combined 2391-52 is single phase & 3ph level 3 for experienced electricians where if you don't know how to test you're on your own & will likely fail as no practical training will be given.

The main differences between the 2392 & 2391 is the 2392 is single phase only which is level 2 & the course itself you will be taught practical on how how to test. (This qualification is no longer recognised)

Where as the 2391 whether that's the 2391-50 or 2391-51 or combined 2391-52 is single phase & 3ph level 3 for experienced electricians where if you don't know how to test you're on your own & will likely fail as no practical training will be given.
If there's no practical training then what's the point in the 'course'? Waht DO they teach on them?

If there's no practical training then what's the point in the 'course'? Waht DO they teach on them?

As stated above, it’s for experienced electricians that know how to test, and do it day in, day out.

It’s very heavy on theory and GN3, you’re expected to know how to test and interpret those results prior to going on the course.

I’ll be honest, if you’ve got limited testing experience (especially 3P&N), you’re probably going struggle.

Build yourself a test rig, get to know your MFT, watch some sparky ninja videos, and practice practice practice until it becomes second nature.

Reply to Should i do 2392 or 2391 testing and inspection? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net