Discuss Should I get paid in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's about 20 minutes home. The annoying thing is local collage does it over a few days and if I did it that way my fuel cost would be no different and I would do it during work time and get paid. I've decided that if they are not willing to at least cover my fuel costs I won't be doing it.

Thanks for for the advice Ashley

I hope you don't live to regret this decision!

It's about 20 minutes home. The annoying thing is local collage does it over a few days and if I did it that way my fuel cost would be no different and I would do it during work time and get paid. I've decided that if they are not willing to at least cover my fuel costs I won't be doing it.

No consideration for the cost of the course by your employer i see. Giving you a qualification off there own back that you can use to your advantage in the future...

Turn it down and you're a mug.

And I bet Mr Polski or Mr Spaniard or Mr Italian would be putting themselves out.

No consideration for the cost of the course by your employer i see. Giving you a qualification off there own back that you can use to your advantage in the future...

Turn it down and you're a mug.

It may not be what it seems, my employer put me through the 17th at a training provider about 20 miles away even though there were much closer opportunities, turned out they were getting funding from a local training initative so it didn't cost them much but had to use a specific provider.
Luckily we were sent during "works time" so got paid and used a company car for transport.

When you work for the company I do then you would understand as an apprentice I was promised I would be bought tools. For 6 months I had nothing eventually I gave up asking and had to start buying myself. I've been there 3 years now and have spent somewhere in the region of 2000 pound on my tools. In this time I've been bought 2 work t-shirts 1 pair of trousers and 3 pairs of overalls. Boots have been bought myself and so has the rest of my workwear. A few weeks ago I got a phone call on a Friday night at about 8 o'clock saying a machine has broke (I'm not on call I'm never on call my boss is)and they where desperate for it. So I travelled back to work I clocked in and then clocked out 37 minutes later. They paid me for 30 minutes and refused to pay me a penny more.

Ashley

When you work for the company I do then you would understand as an apprentice I was promised I would be bought tools. For 6 months I had nothing eventually I gave up asking and had to start buying myself. I've been there 3 years now and have spent somewhere in the region of 2000 pound on my tools. In this time I've been bought 2 work t-shirts 1 pair of trousers and 3 pairs of overalls. Boots have been bought myself and so has the rest of my workwear. A few weeks ago I got a phone call on a Friday night at about 8 o'clock saying a machine has broke (I'm not on call I'm never on call my boss is)and they where desperate for it. So I travelled back to work I clocked in and then clocked out 37 minutes later. They paid me for 30 minutes and refused to pay me a penny more.

Ashley

All the more reason to get the qualification, add it to your CV and get a new job.

It may not be what it seems, my employer put me through the 17th at a training provider about 20 miles away even though there were much closer opportunities, turned out they were getting funding from a local training initative so it didn't cost them much but had to use a specific provider.
Luckily we were sent during "works time" so got paid and used a company car for transport.

Not sure i agree, when i was an apprentice i was made to go on courses up in Billingham, now Billingham from Scarborough is 3hours drive depending on traffic. I don't see the problem with the travel....people are just too tight about spending there 'beer' money theses days - be thankful, gain more qualifications = boost in CV / better JIB card, or more on the back making you look superior to others, thus better job opportunities in the future.

Im not sure how old the OP is but 10weeks across a life time, its naff all.

OP if you turn it down then i hope your employer sends someone else...

Hard times may arise for him (hopefully not) then who gets sacked? you - not the other geezer because hes shown willing to learn and has put himself out.

You gotta bust your balls and do things you don't wonna do to suceed in this trade. If you don't, theres always someone else that will. And that applys to all walks of life.

Having to buy your own tools? FFS!!! I guess you think your employer should pay for everything you need then watch you walk away? EVERYONE buys their own tools, you'll take care of them more and take pride in using the right one for the job. They are tax deductable, as is PPE. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, pal, certainly not these days. There are guys queueing up for opportunities like this, so suck it up and get on with it or let someone else with some commitment and desire have a go. Jeez....

I badgered my employer for a year to put me on the fgas course so I could be multiskilled and therefore more attractive to either them come promotion time or another employer. More than happy to take 3 hours for 2 nights a week for 10 weeks to achieve this. My employer was over the moon that I'm doing it in my own time he stumped up the £1500 for it. Grab the opportunity with both hands I say!

Reply to Should I get paid in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net