Discuss Shower Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd be interested to know if there's actually a reg that forbids it in the UK, I know there isn't in our domestic regs. As said already, it's common practice with cables in larger distribution networks but the logistics of ensuring identical lengths, routes and connecting a parallel cabled domestic final circuit would make it a bad idea.
BS7671 specifically permits paralleling cables, with certain provisos on cable route, type, etc. to ensure equal current sharing.
However I believe it is directed mainly toward the larger cable sizes in reality.

You will not need to worry in another few years because of the EU the power of vacuum cleaners are being restricted next they are going to restrict our power tools so soon your showers will be a maximum of 3KW and you will have a fine mist spray to that you reduce your need for so much water and then to round it off your bath towels will be the size of face cloths ! pmsl

You will not need to worry in another few years because of the EU the power of vacuum cleaners are being restricted next they are going to restrict our power tools so soon your showers will be a maximum of 3KW and you will have a fine mist spray to that you reduce your need for so much water and then to round it off your bath towels will be the size of face cloths ! pmsl

It's already in action. Companies are prohibited from manufacturing or importing any vacuums with motors above 1,600 watts and will have a further reduction in 2017 to 900 watts. What a joke lol.

How would you test it? As a radial or a ring final circuit?
I'm not sure the resistances in parallel are such a good idea either.
Might be a good idea to check the fire insurance.

A parallel circuit would be tested as a radial (possibly once for each cable), a circuit without identical conductors on the same route would be tested as a ring but must be constructed in accordance with the regulations with are fairly limiting on available design options and is generally not recommended except for the exception class of a ring final socket circuit.

How would you test it? As a radial or a ring final circuit?
I'm not sure the resistances in parallel are such a good idea either.
Might be a good idea to check the fire insurance.

It is a radial circuit so you test it as such, where possible I would test each cable seperately for continuity to confirm that they are all the same.

And not 1 person as mentioned the common practice of connecting 2 x 2.5mm cables 2 a 32A breaker !!
Sound familiar !!! :icon12:

Yea but! no but! yea but!
You have a point athough as mention we would not consider parrallel cables in a domestic installation It just sounds crazy to do this but technicaly speakng surly a ring final circuit is in affect a parrallel circuit from a certain point a view :shades_smile:

You have a point athough as mention we would not consider parrallel cables in a domestic installation It just sounds crazy to do this but technicaly speakng surly a ring final circuit is in affect a parrallel circuit from a certain point a view :shades_smile:

Nope, a ring circuit is a ring not a parallel circuit which is a radial.

Yes i know that but ok you have 1 twin 13amp socket fed by 2 x 2.5mm cables on a 32 amp rcbo both cables run the same rout so is that a radial or a ring
final ?

Ok leading on from that could you just run one 2.5mm cable supplying 1 double 13amp socket from a 32 amp rcbo?, afterall the cable with have the same over current protection as a socket spured off a ring final circuit.

I don't see how that relates to the question of doubling up cables? Daz

Reply to Shower Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net