Discuss Shower Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is great !!
So now an existing 6mm supply cable needs up rating to 10mm to supply a shiny new 10kw shower.
Don't bother fitting a 10mm, just run another 6mm alongside and do it on the cheap.
Well carry on cus this is the kind of thing that sorts the electricians from the semi skilled bodge up merchants.
Do what any self respecting electrician would do and fit a 10mm, and if termination is a problem get an electrician to do the job for you.

What about 10 x 1mm cables then? So that will be 20 in total? Using your simple infant school mathematics that would be fine.
Doesn't make it a good job though does it?

1mm has a ccc around 12/13A depending on conditions, let's say 10A for ease of maths.
So for a 40A supply you would only need 4off 1mm cables.

This is the way forward

Use a 2.5mm and limit the running time of the shower to 2 minutes 12 seconds using a timer.
Set the timer to re energise after 10 minutes to allow for thermal effects.

Check the calcs yourself if you don't believe me:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a 2.5mm and limit the running time of the shower to 2 minutes 41 seconds using a timer.
Set the timer to re energise after 10 minutes to allow for thermal effects.
Check the calcs yourself if you dont believe me. :conehead:

I believe you but don't let everyone know lol.
I am retiring to the pub for the rest of the day.

to contemplate my future

I have just read this and my thoughts are, why are people even talking of using more than one cable, just use the "correct" size and do it properly, anything other than that is just stupid IMO.

I have just read this and my thoughts are, why are people even talking of using more than one cable, just use the "correct" size and do it properly, anything other than that is just stupid IMO.

I don't think anyone is being serious petal. Maybe the OP, but even then I think this thread was possibly a joke that didn't translate to the internet very well.

I don't think anyone is being serious petal. Maybe the OP, but even then I think this thread was possibly a joke that didn't translate to the internet very well.

Well lets face it you either laugh or cry when reading the OP's comments.
Lets hope he IS joking, scary stuff.

OK how long you been in that pub Dave, I'm jealous. :wink_smile:

I haven't got near the pub yet, but it's exactly the same maths that would give you four cables with a ccc of 100A to carry a 400A supply or of 1000A to carry a 4000A supply.

The only difference being that nobody in their right mind would use paralell cables to carry a 40A supply!

Totally agree with Dave on this one,when you are installing large supplies sometimes you have to install large cables in parallel because the cables can become unmanageable however the same does not apply when installing a shower cable.

Totally agree with Dave on this one,when you are installing large supplies sometimes you have to install large cables in parallel because the cables can become unmanageable however the same does not apply when installing a shower cable.
agreed.most showers will run happily on a 2.5mm, strung over the bath and second duty as a knicker dryer.

All joking aside though, I think anything over 9.5kW on an instantaneous electric shower is getting a bit ridiculous and unnecessary too.

That's the fun Christmas day, when Mums cooking the Turkey, Dads watching his 65" plasma with the electric log affect fire on full blast, and the teenage daughters washing her hair in the 10.5kw shower.
Poor old 60A cut out fuse says stuff this and pop !! Merry Christmas.

Count me in.
Tri-rated is another that can make those awkward break your fingers and scuff yer knuckles moments an easier option.
Have needed to fit parallel sub main runs myself on heavy installs and that's perfectly logical.
But cabling a domestic shower this way is nonsense in the extreme.
I think common sense and good electrical practice are the words of the moment with this one. ;)

I'd be interested to know if there's actually a reg that forbids it in the UK, I know there isn't in our domestic regs. As said already, it's common practice with cables in larger distribution networks but the logistics of ensuring identical lengths, routes and connecting a parallel cabled domestic final circuit would make it a bad idea.

Reply to Shower Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net