Discuss Size or Cable for Combi Boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NeilRob

-
DIY
Reaction score
I had the house rewired about 18 years ago the electrician used 1 mm twin and earth from a 6 amp breaker in the consumer unit to a fused spur with 3 amp fuse for the combi boiler, I am about to have a new boiler installed and want to know if this cable is actually the correct size it has caused no problem but I would have thought 1.5 was more suitable.

The current Regulations now prohibit the use of 1mm² cables for power.
The minimum CSA is now 1.5mm².
However that not withstanding, 1mm² should be more than adequate for your combi boiler, especially if the rating of the fuse is still at 3A.

I had the house rewired about 18 years ago the electrician used 1 mm twin and earth from a 6 amp breaker in the consumer unit to a fused spur with 3 amp fuse for the combi boiler, I am about to have a new boiler installed and want to know if this cable is actually the correct size it has caused no problem but I would have thought 1.5 was more suitable.

Are you replacing a boiler or installing a large kettle? 1.0mm is more than sufficient to supply the new boiler!

I suppose you can interpret the Reg. however you wish.
How do you interpret the table to mean anything other than what it states?
Lighting 1mm².
Power1.5mm².
Is a combi, some new form of lighting, should I re-lable all the CUs from boiler to lighting?

No interpretation required.

NeilRob; as your electrical feed for the boiler is existing and you are simply having a replacement boiler, spinlondon correctly stated that it would be "more than adequate" Regulation 524.1 table 52.3 tells us this is nothing more than a deviation from the current regulations; this does not make it unsafe.

If I was the electrical contractor re-supplying the new boiler I would identify it on the certificate as a deviation and label the switched fused isolator as 3A max fuse.

In circumstances where a new feed were required then yes, the cable would be done so in accordance with table 52.3 and fed from a cable with csa no less than 1.5mm.

thanks spinlondon for answering my question.

Dan

A ring final circuit fed at 32 amps, a junction box installed onto one leg of the ring with a 1.5 mm sq cable inserted into the JB feeding a single socket (or switch spur used to feed a boiler)

I was caring out some remedial work after an electrician that had identified it on a periodic inspection report; he was incorrect to do so, but as glenspark says "
clowns that cant/dont work out what size cable to use"

Dan

A ring final circuit fed at 32 amps, a junction box installed onto one leg of the ring with a 1.5 mm sq cable inserted into the JB feeding a single socket (or switch spur used to feed a boiler)

I was caring out some remedial work after an electrician that had identified it on a periodic inspection report; he was incorrect to do so, but as glenspark says "
clowns that cant/dont work out what size cable to use"

Dan
and it dont stop there either...lol
sat in the van with my (then) boss....drivin along......then he suddenly throws a PIR sheet into my lap...`ere....`ave a look at this he says......lol...
so a rewireable C/U is a (2) is it?..lol...
and gas+water on one main bonding conductor is a (1) is it?....lolffs...
well, acording to the guy who did the original report it was...lol.....lol....
oh man....

So its 1.5mm minimum CPC CSA for power circuits from now on.....

I see all the cowboy EICR's now - you need a rewire because your 2.5/1.0mm T&E doesn't comply with regs and is illegal!

Reply to Size or Cable for Combi Boiler in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net