Discuss Solar PV supply taken from a 32 amp ring circuit. Is this acceptable? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
One of my domestic electrical customers has recently had a 4Kw solar PV system installed.
The area in the garage next to where the array was located does not have easy access to the main Consumer Unit so the installers have installed a 2-way garage consumer unit to connect the inverter. This 2 way garage unit obtains its supply by breaking into the original local 32 amp ring circuit to use as the main supply conductors. This original ring circuit is protected by an rcd at the main consumer unit and since the PV system has been installed the rcd at the main consumer unit trips on a very regular basis.
I have tested the rcd on the main consumer unit and it operates as it should.
I would like to know if this type of connection is acceptable as I believe that the inverter should be on its own dedicated circuit that is preferably non rcd protected.
Can anyone give me advise please.

Hi,

The PV system should be on it's own circuit with it's own breaker. For example it may be a B20 for a 4KW solar PV system.
If the sparky who installed it had no space on your consumer unit it may be why he doubled it up, although it is not acceptable.
A spare way should be used on the board where applicable or a secondary consumer unit should be added (with tails).
A RCD should be avoided where applicable as a 30mA RCD may nuisance trip.

Reply to Solar PV supply taken from a 32 amp ring circuit. Is this acceptable? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net