Discuss SPD Mains Isolator wylex/Proteus in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That is not a dual isolator that is a single double pole isolator with spd for 1 set of tails. Earth size should be calculated accordingly for the installation.

The enclosure can accomodate four cables from the bottom and four from the top, but that's unrelated to this set up with one DP isolator and SPD. You could try taking both set of tails through the base, but I can't imagine there's enough space in there to get them to the top of that isolator.

This enclosure isn't limited to one specific purpose - 8 cable entries are required when it's fitted with a 4 pole isolator.

I'm not sure I understand, you bring your tails from the meter into the top, then the 4 terminals at the bottom are linked so you can bring 2 sets of tails out to feed a consumer unit and a charger, instead of using Henley blocks. Why would I need to go to the top. What am I missing here?

The enclosure can accomodate four cables from the bottom and four from the top, but that's unrelated to this set up with one DP isolator and SPD. You could try taking both set of tails through the base, but I can't imagine there's enough space in there to get them to the top of that isolator.

This enclosure isn't limited to one specific purpose - 8 cable entries are required when it's fitted with a 4 pole isolator.

That isn't what is shown in the OPs link.

I'm not sure I understand, you bring your tails from the meter into the top, then the 4 terminals at the bottom are linked so you can bring 2 sets of tails out to feed a consumer unit and a charger, instead of using Henley blocks. Why would I need to go to the top. What am I missing here?

That isn't what is shown in the OPs link.

It may be that I'm missing something. The above comment suggests one load with SPD wired in parallel and a second fed through the SPD.

Does the manufacturer intend this? their literature shows links at top for parallel connection of SPD, but I've never seen an SPD protect both series and parallel loads.

Edit: From Proteus... "The SPD is uniquely connected to the isolator switch by two fully insulated bus bar links meaning the only connections the installer has to make is the meter tails in the isolator and earth connection from the SPD – far quicker and far safer!"

Last edited:

Looking at the data sheet from your link in the first post the outgoing terminals are at the top of the unit on the SPD with the isolator connected to it via insulated busbars.

The smaller lid covers the outgoing side of these units.

The incoming side is covered by the larger lid which allows it to be sealed and made fully safe when being fitted as a supply isolator by the DNO etc.

Could you post a picture of the connections you are asking about, that should help clear up this confusion

ProteusCon_EMIST2-D.jpg
The one I had been given was a different make can't remember now, but similar set up, where does it state that supply side is to come through the bottom and not the top? The seal tabs are on both sides, if allowing supply through top entry and both bottom terminals being linked by a buzz bar it would allow for isolation of the the SPD and 2 sets of outgoing terminals.

I might be missing something here but I don't see why that wouldn't be ok.

View attachment 104819The one I had been given was a different make can't remember now, but similar set up, where does it state that supply side is to come through the bottom and not the top? The seal tabs are on both sides, if allowing supply through top entry and both bottom terminals being linked by a buzz bar it would allow for isolation of the the SPD and 2 sets of outgoing terminals.

If it's linked on the load side, then I can't see why terminals couldn't be used.

View attachment 104819The one I had been given was a different make can't remember now, but similar set up, where does it state that supply side is to come through the bottom and not the top? The seal tabs are on both sides, if allowing supply through top entry and both bottom terminals being linked by a buzz bar it would allow for isolation of the the SPD and 2 sets of outgoing terminals.

I can't see any buzz bar

Reply to SPD Mains Isolator wylex/Proteus in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net