Discuss Speeding ticket for van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes im afraid it true but i don't get this law , if you have a great big range rover you can go the 70 but if your in a little berlingo you can only go 60. !!! I also wondered if those average speed cameras know if you are in a car of a van ??

Yes They do.

Very few people realise this but the law is such that you should know the speed limit no matter what you are driving. Surveys review the lack of awareness for this and I think the dealer/lease company should make this clear.

A car derived van can do 70 on a dual cariageway and motorway.
It is confusing because a car derived van does not need to look like the car it is derived from say for example the Astravan it means it is built on the same chassis base as a car. My Caddy is deemed to be such but I believe it is speed restricted because it exceeds the GVW.

From this link.

Car-derived vans and dual purpose vehicles - GOV.UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles

Contents

1. Car derived vans
  2. Legal definition of a car derived van
  3. How to identify a car derived van
  4. Speed limits
  5. What to do if you think your vehicle has been incorrectly registered
  6. Dual purpose vehicles

Car derived vans
Very few vans will meet the criteria for a car derived van (CDV). Those that do are likely to be similar to a Ford Fiesta van, Vauxhall Corsa or Renault Clio van.

Legal definition of a car derived van
Schedule 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 describes a car derived van as:

‘car-derived van’ means a goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes.’

How to identify a car derived van
Car derived vans are:

• designed to weigh no more than 2 tonnes when loaded fully
  • based on car designs or the vehicle is built from a platform which has been designed and developed to be built as a car or a van by the same manufacturer
As a general rule, from the outside, these vehicles will look like the size of a car, but on the inside the vehicle will look like and function as a van, because:

• there will be no rear seats, rear seat belts or mountings
  • there will be a payload area with floor panel in the rear of the vehicle
  • there will be no side windows in the rear of the vehicle - or if present, side windows will be opaque and fixed (with no means of opening or closing)
If your van is a CDV, it will be recorded as such under ‘body type’ on the vehicle’s registration document (V5C). If there is any other entry under ‘body type’ the vehicle is not registered as a car derived van and will be subject to speeds lower than the national limits.

Speed limits
Car derived vans are the only light commercial (goods) vehicles which are subject to the same speed limits as a car.

All other light commercial (goods) vehicles, including small vans, are restricted to maximum speed limits applicable to goods vehicles not exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight:

• 50mph on single carriageways
  • 60mph on dual carriageways
  • 70mph on motorways
What to do if you think your vehicle has been incorrectly registered
The Department for Transport recognises that historically some vehicles may have been incorrectly registered.

If you believe your vehicle is a CDV and is not registered as such, for:

• new vehicles - check with the dealer
  • older vehicle – check with the manufacturer
Until such time as your vehicle has been re-registered as a CDV (if appropriate) you should comply with the lower speed limits applicable to a goods vehicle. You will need written confirmation that the vehicle qualifies as a CDV from the manufacturer to accompany the re-registration application.

If your goods vehicle is registered as a CDV but it:

• exceeds 2 tonnes maximum laden weight
  • does not meet any other of the criteria for a CDV
then it is incorrectly registered and you are not permitted to travel at the national speed limits. You must comply with the lower speed limits applicable to a goods vehicle.

As above please check the registration details with the dealer / manufacturer and re-register with DVLA as appropria

Interesting read that Ruston so if I read it correctly my Caddy, apparently being a CDV but exceeding the two tonnes can still do 70 mph on motorways but is restricted on single and dual carriageways.

I got one doing 68, 100 pound fine and a speed awareness course. Luckily I did it over my xmas hols 5 mins from home so no hardship.

Anything over 2t (maybe 2.1 not sure now) it's the 50/60/70 rule. UNLESS it's a crew cab or mini bus. 60/60/70 (multi purpose vehicle)

So Astra van, bippa etc is 70. Connect, Caddy is 60 on dual carriageway.

A definition of a dual carriageway is where you cannot cross to the other side due to an obstacle e.g. Crash barrier or other speed restrictions apply.

If you can it's STILL single carriageway so it's 50 not 60.

Where blue signs are present motor way rules apply so it's 70 even if it's 2 lanes (dual carriageway but not)

HTH

Last edited:
Suffice to say, unless your driving one of those miniature vans, which are no practical use, you have to stick with the 50-60-70 speed limits.

ANPR, through the registration number, also check for tax, insurance, (edit & MOT) vehicle or driver of interest or wanted, at time of detection. Speed cameras, similar check done later.

A friends friend got zapped, and fined £80 for not taxing her vehicle, albeit the taxation class was £0 :D

Last edited:
Another thing to watch is that they are active all the time ,not just speeding triggered like the older ones . People have been caught using phones ,reading , and other cameras
are manned . They are watching you lol.

Another thing to watch is that they are active all the time ,not just speeding triggered like the older ones . People have been caught using phones ,reading , and other cameras
are manned . They are watching you lol.

Sorry if we are covering old ground but I am finding a bit confusing.

I have a Ford Transit Courier, registered as a panel van but with a revenue weight of 1795KG. I assume i'm a van due to body type, but could I apply to re-register as a CDV?

Sorry if we are covering old ground but I am finding a bit confusing.

I have a Ford Transit Courier, registered as a panel van but with a revenue weight of 1795KG. I assume i'm a van due to body type, but could I apply to re-register as a CDV?

Doubt it. The Ford Transit Courier is not 'is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle'.

Here's another link to check;

Car-derived vans and dual purpose vehicles - GOV.UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles

Reply to Speeding ticket for van in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net