Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss straw walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jay b

-
Reaction score
Quoted on a job, 2 wall lights & change light switch from 1g into 2g to accommodate, checked wall with detector gave a tap as you do all good just plasterboard stud wall(gave that hollow sound) drop off old switch cable nice and free quick check in loft, all good, cu all circuits RCD protected its a go. Got there today started with a happy face thinking a nice little job then it's a straw wall, all the partition walls are straw aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh

Quoted on a job, 2 wall lights & change light switch from 1g into 2g to accommodate, checked wall with detector gave a tap as you do all good just plasterboard stud wall(gave that hollow sound) drop off old switch cable nice and free quick check in loft, all good, cu all circuits RCD protected its a go. Got there today started with a happy face thinking a nice little job then it's a straw wall, all the partition walls are straw aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh

I feel your pain.

I had the same problem when I was fitting a mixer shower for someone. I though all I had to do was run two 15mm plastic pipes down through a stud wall.

No chucking fance!!

That stuff is the work of the devil.

If only it was them kind of straws telectrix the milkshake would have been on me.

It was real pain Geordie sparks I sat there for a minute thinking shall I just walk away!!!! But your name is what brings business in so braved it and spent all day in hell. What do we do next when we quote, do a test hole as well haha

No didnt see it, metal back box screw at back centre as if screwed into block of wood no missing blanks apart from the one cable was running through had grommet in cable nice and free see all looked great

No didnt see it, metal back box screw at back centre as if screwed into block of wood no missing blanks apart from the one cable was running through had grommet in cable nice and free see all looked great.

i dont know what your complaining about.....
theres many that would be grateful for some straw:

stock-footage-group-of-young-sheep-eating-hay-on-a-barn.jpg

follow the crowd....

My mate was concerned about working with a straw wall
He needn't have worried because I bailed him out

Must say,they look like nice sheep there Glen,now where did I leave my my wellies?

Used to come across this material many years ago as an apprentice working on local authority rewires in Lincolnshire. The material was known as 'stramit'. Compressed straw which when disturbed multiplies in volume, absolute nightmare to work with.

Good old strammit. Haven't heard of it in years. Only actually had to deal with it once and it was a nightmare. What I remember most is that although the straw us was supposedly treated, if it got damp the bloody stuff would grow!
Did a favour for a friend, can't remember exactly what but on his house, the walls had been put up before the ceilings and the top of the strammit was open in the loft. Add some moisture from a leak up there and there was a bizarre cereal crop growing. Because of no light up there it was white and slimey in appearance. Like a low budget sf film! :)

Just think yourself lucky it wasn't one of these save the world, Anorak's self build houses, where all the outer walls are actual bails of straw, with lime rendering. ..lol!!

some years ago, came across straw floor in an old building. looked like concrete. even the structural surveyor has put it down as concrete. was a pleasure to core drill through for a couple of risers.

probably has loads of straw walls in the smoke at one time, but goring's luftwaffe sorted them all out.

Just think yourself lucky it wasn't one of these save the world, Anorak's self build houses, where all the outer walls are actual bails of straw, with lime rendering. ..lol!!

At least they're making an effort, however completely futile it is, compared to the most polluting nation on Earth that you're quite happy to line your pockets off.

I made a complete bollox of someones landing wall years ago putting a socket into straw, thank god for expanding foam, i stuck the house back together with it and bugger to the wiring regs, i had made a right pigs ear of it.....Phew:redface:

I made a complete bollox of someones landing wall years ago putting a socket into straw, thank god for expanding foam, i stuck the house back together with it and bugger to the wiring regs, i had made a right pigs ear of it.....Phew:redface:

Ah yes ....good old expanding foam. Next to Gaffer tape it's God's gift to bodgers everywhere !!

WONDERFUL stuff!

Whatever happened to that stuff in a can that could fix your puncture and pump up your tyres

Perhaps they re labelled it "Expanding foam"
It may have had a better chance of mass sales with us "rough as" sparks squirting it everywhere

can't say that you're rough, des. several sheep told me you were extremely gentle. :24:

I've worked on many stamic straw walls.......fun cutting boxes in with a stanley knife. but usually there is hole within the wall from top to bottom every so often big enough to get cables in. Nowwe days no doubt the cables will have to be downgraded! lol

Reply to straw walls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net