Discuss sudden random problem with lights and sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DERECK

-
Reaction score
hi everyone my sockets stop working in house when i went to fuse box no fuse were blew but there was a lot of heat coming from fuse box. but when i pulled the fuse for sockets my lights went out and when i put it back in sockets where working but lights were out where i was so went into kitchen turn on light there and all lights where going on from one switch and of and this was the same from any switch so i removed lights fuse from box but lights still on and when i used any switch still turning of all lights in house with 1 switch so i took out the fuse for sockets and again lights went out so i left out socket fuse and replaced light fuse and all lights work as they should check wires at fuse box to see any red wires from the socket fuse where touching wires from wire coming out of the fuse that runs the lights i could not see anything Burt or of colour. my fuse box is old fuse wire and has 3 red 30 amps 1 blue 15 amps 1 white 5 amp and green 45 amp. thanks for tanking the time to read this i hope someone can help as i so confused all that can happen and not even blow a fuse.

Hello Derick - you need an electrician now now now. There should never be heat coming out of your fuse box. This can only get worse and all power is lost, or worse than worse it can catch fire. Go and have another look, if it's still hot turn it all off at the main switch. 999 can be your friend if there is actual fire.

Hello Derick - you need an electrician now now now. There should never be heat coming out of your fuse box. This can only get worse and all power is lost, or worse than worse it can catch fire. Go and have another look, if it's still hot turn it all off at the main switch. 999 can be your friend if there is actual fire.

Thanks for the reply wilko I was out at the time working was the wife phoned me so was cold when got home thought it was just a fuse but it never got warm after that but i never put it under load as it would of been when wife phoned me cooker was on washing machine tumble dryer and so on waiting on guy to come out see what it is fingers crossed

Hopefully you have spotted it quickly before heat damage and it could be a simple fix to redo some connections and test. Good luck and do keep us posted :)

Hi Wilko it turns out that a socket near the light switch in the kitchen was feeding the lights as well as on a switch live and that socket just runs flat screen TV but the neutrals were burnt but not touching anything. Not so sure this is the whole case as it worked until now plus I have changed the light fittings in my house over the years with just removing the fuse from the meter box which means that lights would have power running to them, either the switch has been off every time I was previously working on the lights or I think I would off had a few shocks. For now lights are off when fuse is out so hope I'm wrong. Just to be on the safe side I am going to have new consumer board with trip switch fitted with the guy who was out today for 170 but will update you if anything changes but really hope you do not here from me on this thanks again

Just to be on the safe side I am going to have new consumer board with trip switch fitted with the guy who was out today for 170 but will update you if anything changes but really hope you do not here from me on this thanks again

What does this mean? Are you saying he will fit a new CU for £170 including parts...

Reply to sudden random problem with lights and sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net