Discuss Tails - metal board - TT system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In the BYB:

421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall:

• (i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material, or
  • (ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.
NOTE 1: Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material.
NOTE 2: The implementation date for this regulation is the 1st January 2016, but does not preclude compliance with the regulation prior to that date.

BTW, direct copy from the electronic version of the BYB a few seconds ago.
You know the scope of 61439-3
I realise that there are other 61439-* standards, and you could argue that some of them apply.
Also some similar switchgear will be made to alternative -* numbers, there in lies another failing of the reg.

So when has this changed? Where is the mention of 960° glow wire tested plastic not meeting this regulation?

So when has this changed? Where is the mention of 960° glow wire tested plastic not meeting this regulation?

You have been looking at the DPC.
This is from the released version.
The reference was removed between the DPC & the final draft for signing off, which I was lucky to see a page of @ Elex Sandown.
The above quote is the actual reg that has been published.

There are also further changes that have gone in under the radar as it were.

You have been looking at the DPC.
This is from the released version.
The reference was removed between the DPC & the final draft for signing off, which I was lucky to see a page of @ Elex Sandown.
The above quote is the actual reg that has been published.

There are also further changes that have gone in under the radar as it were.

So bollo*ks to it then. 960° glow wire tested plastic is non-combustible as defined in the product standard. The version of the BYB I was shown had this reference in it. It seems this has now disappeared.

Why are we now having this conversation??

We can give up talking altogether about metal boards in domestic finally!

Reply to Tails - metal board - TT system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net