Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Completed a re-wire a few months ago and was called back after complaining that SKY box was powering off and mcb tripping. This was after the alarm/camera engineer had carried out some work. Checked in the loft to find a 4 way extension wired into the lighting circuit running an assortment of equipment including dvd recorder, router etc !

@ bright eyes. would this be a landing 2 way light that's tripping ther RCD/s?
[Sounds like your safety switch is imbalanced.......]

Thanks for responses guys.
The light in question is NOT two way switched.
I wondered if the safety switch was imbalanced (or faulty) also but why would only one light on that circuit cause it to trip? Visually all connections appear sound.

I think your best option is to get an electrician to find and rectify the fault, with the right accreditation and test equipment.
Sure someone on here is in your area.

Thanks Rich
I always use licensed electrical contractors. Here in Oz it is illegal to so much as fit a three pin plug to a lead unless you are a licensed electrical contractor, not just an electrician. In fact many appliances need to be "tagged" every three months in the work situation, especially tradesman's tools.
I am a building supervisor and work closely with electricians, sometimes as many as 60 on a job, so I greatly respect our licensing system and the fact that it is quite unusual to find anyone doing their own work illegally (usually it is only English emigrants).
The problem only surfaced when an electrician fitted the two RCD's and he was unable to diagnose the cause of the fault. When I saw your forum I thought these guys will have seen this before and know the cause of the fault particularly since the symptoms are so specific but it seems not.
Thanks again for the response. Neil.

Not really a fault, just bad practice.... I am in the process of rewiring a four bed house. Ex-council house, wired originally back in the sixties. Firstly the earth wires are separate from the wiring to the outlet/lighting points there are a number of un-sleeved copper braided wire appearing from different parts of the house, all accumulating in one twisted/woven together mass behind the fuse board, this is how they used to wire houses years ago apparently.. Also the red and black singles they have used in the lighting circuits, nothings identified. They have used blacks as lives and reds as neutrals, as I'm wiring the house while it's still being lived in, as I'm disconnecting moving/removing and reconnecting in wagos temporarily to allow other lights to be used. I have made sure I have sleeved the wires with blue and with brown, I realize they could be switch lives etc, but reds as neutrals, its just laziness. Is this how they used to wire in the olden days, cut corners etc to save effort and money, or was it just the council?

This house has two lighting circuits and each has an RCD (safety switch?). No problems on any power circuits in the house but one light fitting trips the RCD when light switch is turned on. It does not trip if there is no light bulb in the socket. Obviously all the lights on that circuit go out but lights on the other circuit stay on. If the RCD is returned to the on position then the other RCD trips. It seems that it only trips once current has reached the neutral side of the light socket. No wiring in this house is old or appears to have any damage. Has anyone seen this type of problem before? Thanks - all comments and theories welcome.
Can't say I have seen this sort of problem before,on a lighting circuit. but I would firstly insulation test the wires from the switch to the light and back to the CU. I had a similar problem with a ring circuit, it turned out to be a slight defect/thinning on the basic insulation covering the neutral, you couldn't neutral see it it was about 400mm further up the sheathing, manufacturing defect. The RCD would hold then trip when an a load was switched on, I had changed the CU to a split load double RCD by the way, it must have been like that since the house was built, but obviously not enough fault current to burn the fuse wire. Maybe you should check that the neutral at the CU for that circuit is terminated in the correct bank of Neutrals for the correct RCD Live in RCD A and neutral in RCD B That may explain the other tripping.

Any day but today god please, tomorow I have my assessment with Neil from napit, I have rewired 3 bed house and will be using this for said assessment. Got to last circuit during testing and was was getting very low insulation resistance reading beween nuetral and earth. After pulling hair out, I started at nearest light point and worked away from cu disconnecting each fitting and tested each fitting in turn , found the " dodgy". Piece of cable and replaced it off of the drum . Re tested , same fault again..... After literally screaming , and at least thirty trips up and down stairs , I did Insulation resistance on the remainder of the cable on the drum, and it had low reading between nuetral and earth.... So now I have to get this sorted , cable replaced fittings up etc all before 8 am for assessment, really worried I will get big fat fail, unless bacon butties laced with heroin will help :) has any one else had this sort of thing happen ?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

last year I called in to see a friends new house he had purchased
he wanted to update the kitchen so I took a look at the CU old but ok
then a walk around the house
guess what I saw
new boiler fitted in a landing cupboard, plumber had drilled through underneath a socket in the bedroom to run the supply flex for the boiler from bedroom socket

something looked odd at first I could not think what
then I realised ( it was late in the day) the muppet had drilled right through the sheathing and cables and severed the CPC on the ring !!!!

then I noticed the gally kitchen had been altered and you could see lines in the wall fromt he old socket outlet positions to new ones
so hammer and chisel out yep wires joined in old positions with electrical tape and plastered over !!!!!!!
so I said safest bet was to rewire
glad we did
found five more hidden joints on the ring main and all of this had been done within the last year :behead:

Thanks Rich
I always use licensed electrical contractors. Here in Oz it is illegal to so much as fit a three pin plug to a lead unless you are a licensed electrical contractor, not just an electrician. In fact many appliances need to be "tagged" every three months in the work situation, especially tradesman's tools.
I am a building supervisor and work closely with electricians, sometimes as many as 60 on a job, so I greatly respect our licensing system and the fact that it is quite unusual to find anyone doing their own work illegally (usually it is only English emigrants).
The problem only surfaced when an electrician fitted the two RCD's and he was unable to diagnose the cause of the fault. When I saw your forum I thought these guys will have seen this before and know the cause of the fault particularly since the symptoms are so specific but it seems not.
Thanks again for the response. Neil.

If you have sixty electricians at your beck and call, surely you can find one a little closer than ½ a world away.

unless bacon butties laced with heroin will help :)

has any one else had this sort of thing happen ?

Bet no one has tried that before.

Have had to condem a 200M drum of 185mm 3 1/2c for the same thing, everyone pee'd off. We were late getting a new bit of kit up and running, supplier was near in tears.

Good luck kid.

When I ripped out our old kitchen to fit a new one, the electrics were a mess, apparently my girlfriends ex husband had wired it as favour when they were divorced. I had to take pictures to show her. It also goes to show how incompetent people who think they know what they are doing. If it works, it's ok attitude.....

Copy of SAM_0167.JPG Cooker control switch

Copy of SAM_0169.JPGCable to the cooker control switch, notice the position the extractor hood was.

SAM_0163.JPGcooker connections...

SAM_0165.JPG I think I rewired just in time

SAM_0154.JPG Bonding connection, see next pic. notice the position of the double socket under the worktop edge on the top left. which the washing machine was plugged into.

SAM_0155.JPGThat'll do..... it looks like it is in the right place.....

I think he was trying to top us all...

After the day from hell, went to bed at half one, up at six , Neil wood from napit turned up at eight, really nice bloke, told him about fault, he put me totally at ease . Passed assessment, panic over. Just got to get cable changed and up on the hot loft for another session

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net