Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just a word of warning. Called to a job. Only one side of a double socket working. Plugged in the trusty socket tester to reveal a neutral fault flashing and beeping. So killed power took of double socket to find correct conection of cables. Funny that why neutral fault. Found switch to socket seized in the "on" position. Fitted new socket and tested all ok. Think about it ?

We were testing a building in huddersfield , In the public car park is a big roller shutter door which is no longer used fed in 1.5 3core grey pcv which was just cut off the switch where the up and down buttons are and left live... oh and it was 3 phase...

1.5 Twin and earth used as 3core with earth sleeved up with red or brown ive seen this numerous times how many other people have seen this?

Re: Tell us about your faults !

Hi,

I have an electrical DB, with 100A 3phase main ELCB, that works fine when all breakers are ON.
I get a problem when I switch OFF a breaker (32A), and switch it ON again. The ELCB trips, I try
that a few times and then it works fine again. This happens with 3 of the 15 breakers that are
in the DB. Any idea why?

Did this get answered?

Anyway, it's quite straightforward- not all of the phases in the breakers are making and breaking simultaneously. Result is temporary unbalance in the RCD and a tripout.

Not my fault but spotted in the local Harvester type place a month ago and still hasn't been repaired, hidden under some play matting in the childrens area...

WP_000051.jpg

Apparently the maintenance team are 'aware' of it... Quick email to their head office I think.

During a rewire recently, I was uncovering some capping in a plastered wall, where it went behind a dado rail it wouldn't budge, just my luck I thought, nailed to the wall before the rail was fixed. It will only be a capping nail, lots of jiggling around and it will come free. After 10 minutes of furious shaking and swearing outbusts, I realized that some doughnut who had fixed the dado had drilled and screwed a three inch screw throuh the centre. Dado was gloss painted so no fixinging was noticed. Just goes to show that safe zones under/above/left and right of outlets are not always adhered too. I just think they were very lucky that they didn't drill the cables running in the capping.SAM_3947.JPG

I was called out last night on a job. The lady told me on the phone that all the sockets had blown in her flat (obvious drama Queen) On arriving and checking the CU, split load half on RCD, which had tripped. Switching all the MCBs off protected by the RCD, Switched back on, hey presto all socets back on, two minutes work. The problem was the shower circuit. She was trying to switch that switchy like thing (RCD) back on and it just wouldn't she said. On further investigation the 45amp pull switch in the bathroom which was wet inside on unscrewing, removed it and tried MCB again. Fine. Checked insulation resistance on cables >299. It had been raining heavily the day before, have you had any leaks I asked. No she replied. but there was a puddle of water in the corner of the bathroom. I have no idea where it came from...... It came through your roof and through your 45 amp shower pull switch. Thats where the water came from. See you Monday with a new switch. I'm sure there are some wonderfull female sparkys in the country, but a majority of women should stick with cooking and ironing....LOLOL

I was called out last night on a job. The lady told me on the phone that all the sockets had blown in her flat (obvious drama Queen) On arriving and checking the CU, split load half on RCD, which had tripped. Switching all the MCBs off protected by the RCD, Switched back on, hey presto all socets back on, two minutes work. The problem was the shower circuit. She was trying to switch that switchy like thing (RCD) back on and it just wouldn't she said. On further investigation the 45amp pull switch in the bathroom which was wet inside on unscrewing, removed it and tried MCB again. Fine. Checked insulation resistance on cables >299. It had been raining heavily the day before, have you had any leaks I asked. No she replied. but there was a puddle of water in the corner of the bathroom. I have no idea where it came from...... It came through your roof and through your 45 amp shower pull switch. Thats where the water came from. See you Monday with a new switch. I'm sure there are some wonderfull female sparkys in the country, but a majority of women should stick with cooking and ironing....LOLOL

Job done, replaced swich and tested. Also when I was called to the job there was a fault with the cooker circuit on the non RCD bank. 240 v reading on the neutral. Apparently the neon light on the switch had been flickering for weeks. I told her that if something is not operating as it should, with electricity involved, it should always be checked..It's not RCD protected either. Removed cooker control switch with socket and made wires safe. Again tested insulation resistanceon the cooker supply cables >299. Replaced the switch last night and tested, all ok. Although the CU is a split load 16th edition only half protected by an RCD. Thats why the cooker wasn't tripping. It's all safe now.

Re: Tell us about your faults !

Quite a funny one for you here guys :smart:, called to one of our machines at work the other day, (a machine that loads large reels of paper into position ready to be run into our corrugator. operator complaining about it not loading in automatic (typical lazy operator moans if he has to do everything manually lol), anyway after spending ~10 minutes looking over the machine/checking possible causes (usually photocell related), i found myself at a loss. its only when an operator walked past and one of the photocells on the side of the machine flickered, that my attention was drawn to a filing cabinet that had that day been put up, the photocell was only reflecting off of the filing cabinet that stood about ~5 meters away lol.. i kicked it aside and hey-presto! :jester:

Doing a EICR today, and found no earthing conductor, bonding to any service, rfc's incomplete and cpcs cut off in every accessory on lighting circuits.......
Worst thing is on arrival the customer said there should be no issues as my mate looked at it and said it was in good condition and it was done fairly recent (new colours) by a local nic approved contractor company !!!
Certificates there so thought I'll see if the readings has altered and turns out there all made up.... LOL

Oh well, keeps me busy with corrections :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340910110.406475.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340910131.343894.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340910151.357144.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340910170.674042.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340910071.426763.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 348
Been subbing some kitchens from a guy, he rang last night and asked me to attend a job where he had wired some cabinet lighting and some new spots for kitchen. Apparently when he turns kitchen lights pñ the bathroom ones glow, and when turn bathroom ones off the cabinet lights go off too, even when operated individually. Had quick look today and this is what ó found in the loft

uploadfromtaptalk1341262060968.jpg
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341262098235.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 209
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341262126477.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 199
  • uploadfromtaptalk1341262156752.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 199
Also found extended washing machine power cord, using crimps and black tape under the sink, all socket fronts hanging off with all conductors stripped too far and showing exposed copper, all live and being used by customer, you cpuldn make it up
The above pics of cable birds nest has really got to be seen to be truly believed. He then , after I told not do any more electrical, had the cheek to say just tidy it up, dont spend too much time on it. My immediate fesponse is not fit to quote, but needless to say I will spend as long as it takes, I think this may be last job i do for him
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net